19th Hole Blog - October 19

Contact Us
Email: 19thhole@golfchannel.com
Follow John Hawkins on Twitter: @JohnHawkinsGC
Follow Win McMurry on Twitter: @WinMcMurryGC
Follow Jay Coffin on Twitter: @JayCoffinGC
Follow Todd Lewis on Twitter: @ToddLewisGC
(Use hash tag #GreyGoose19thHole on Twitter)

Show Highlights:
-Rocco Mediate says it's huge to win a money title but majors should play the biggest role in voting for Player of the Year.
-Jay Coffin thinks Webb Simpson had the best year of anybody on the PGA TOUR.
-Mediate says the U.S. Presidents Cup team doesn't care what Greg Norman says about them.
-John Hawkins doesn't know why Tiger Woods is still with swing coach Sean Foley and calls Tiger 'stubborn'.
-Rocco calls Tiger the strongest mental player ever to play the game.
-The guys hand out grades for the PGA TOUR season: Jay Coffin gives a C- and says parity isn't good for the game, Hawk gives the same C- but says things will get better and Rocco gives the season a D.

Viewer Comments and Questions:
Hugh Allen:
I totally disagree about the need for 'heroes and villians'. Every time some new talent appears and replaces the tired old guys, you feel that somehow it's not interesting anymore. You do a terrible disrespect to the winners and contenders every week. When you should be praising them, you keep talking about the irrelevent people like Tiger and Phil.

Robert Leonard:
I have never missed the 19th Hole, and I really enjoy it. You have me a little on edge, however. I am concerned that you are beginning to be referred to as 'The Tiger Channel.' Certainly there are many other interesting and entertaining stories and personalities that can be topics of conversation for your excellent commentators.

Last Calls:
Watch the Last Calls
-Rocco Mediate on his PGA TOUR career
-Jay Coffin on Bill Clinton's new role with the PGA TOUR
-John Hawkins on the Tiger/Rocco battle at the 2008 U.S. Open
-Todd Lewis on the lovable personality of Ben Crane

Links of Interest:
Winsday
Grey Goose 19th Hole Internet Extra
Articles by John Hawkins
Articles by Jay Coffin
Articles by Win McMurry

Behind-the-Scenes Photos:
I love it when a rundown comes together
Grey Goose 19th Hole

Add one more Win to Rocco's total
Grey Goose 19th Hole

Next Week on the Goose:
Wednesday, October 26 at 7:30 & 10:30PM ET
Guest Panelist: Chris DiMarco (PGA TOUR winner)

Panelist: Jay Coffin (Editorial Director, GolfChannel.com)
Panelist: John Hawkins (Golf Channel Contributor)
Host: Todd Lewis (Grey Goose 19th Hole)
Win McMurry (Grey Goose 19th Hole, Winsday)

Gooch chooses 'life over a good lie' with gators nearby

By Ryan LavnerApril 26, 2018, 11:31 pm

AVONDALE, La. – A fairway bunker wasn’t Talor Gooch’s only hazard on the 18th hole at TPC Louisiana.

Gooch’s ball came to rest Thursday within a few feet of three gators, leading to a lengthy delay as he sorted out his options.

Chesson Hadley used a rake to nudge two of the gators on the tail, sending them back into the pond surrounding the green. But the third gator wouldn’t budge.

“It woke him up from a nap,” Gooch said, “and he was hissing away and wasn’t happy.”

The other two gators remained in the water, their eyes fixed on the group.

Full-field scores from the Zurich Classic of New Orleans

Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Articles, photos and videos

“I’m sure we would have been fine, but any little movement by them and no chance I would have made solid contact,” he said.

A rules official granted Gooch free relief, away from the gator, but he still had to drop in the bunker. The ball plugged.

“I chose life over a good lie in that situation,” he said.

He splashed out short of the green, nearly holed out his pitch shot and made par to cap off an eventful 6-under 66 with partner Andrew Landry.

“It was my first gator par,” he said. “I’ll take it.”

Koepka's game 'where it should be' even after injury

By Ryan LavnerApril 26, 2018, 11:18 pm

AVONDALE, La. – Brooks Koepka didn’t look rusty Thursday while making six birdies in the first round of the Zurich Classic.

Making his first start in four months because of a torn ligament in his left wrist, Koepka and partner Marc Turnesa shot a 5-under 67 in fourballs at TPC Louisiana.

“It felt good,” Koepka said afterward. “It was just nice to be out here. I played pretty solid.”

Full-field scores from the Zurich Classic of New Orleans

Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Articles, photos and videos

The reigning U.S. Open champion felt soreness in his wrist the week after he won the Dunlop Phoenix in the fall. He finished last at the Hero World Challenge in December and then the following month at the Tournament of Champions before shutting it down.

He only began practicing last week and decided to commit to the Zurich Classic after three solid days at Medalist. He decided to partner with one of his friends in South Florida, Marc Turnesa, a former PGA Tour winner who now works in real estate.

Koepka hasn’t lost any distance because of the injury – he nearly drove the green on the 355-yard 16th hole. He’s planning to play the next two weeks, at the Wells Fargo Championship and The Players.

“I feel like I’m playing good enough to be right where I should be in April,” he said. “I feel good, man. There’s nothing really wrong with my game right now.”

Like a tattoo: Ko shares early Mediheal lead

By Randall MellApril 26, 2018, 10:45 pm

Lydia Ko put herself in early position Thursday to try to extend her birthday celebration through Sunday at the LPGA Mediheal Championship.

Ko, who turned 21 on Tuesday, is off to a strong start at Lake Merced Golf Club, where she has a lot of good memories to draw upon as she seeks to regain the winning form that made her the greatest teen phenom in the history of the women’s game.

With a 4-under-par 68, Ko moved into a four-way tie for the lead among the morning wave in the first round. I.K. Kim, Jessica Korda and Caroline Hedwall also opened with 68s.

All Ko has to do is look at her right wrist to feel good about returning to San Francisco. That’s where she tattooed the date April 27, 2014, in Roman numerals. That’s how she commemorated her Swinging Skirts victory at Lake Merced, her first title as an LPGA member. She won there again the following year.

“This is a golf course where I've played well,” Ko said. “The fans have been amazing. They’ve been super supportive every single time I've come here, even since I played the U.S. Juniors here.”

Full-field scores from the LPGA Mediheal Championship

Ko made it to the semifinals of the U.S. Girls’ Junior at Lake Merced in 2012.

“It just brings back a lot of great memories,” she said.

Ko got this week off to a good start with friends from South Korea and New Zealand flying to California to surprise her on her birthday. She was born in South Korea and grew up in New Zealand.

“Turning 21 is a huge thing in the United States,” Ko cracked. “I’m legal now, and I can do some fun things.”

Ko is looking to claim her 15th LPGA title and end a 21-month winless spell. Her ball striking was sharp Thursday, as she continues to work on improvements under her swing coach, Ted Oh. She hit 11 of 14 fairways and 16 of 18 greens in regulation.

“My ball striking's been getting better these last few weeks, which has been really nice,” Ko said at week’s start. “But then I've been struggling with putting, which was the aspect of the game that was going really well. I feel like the pieces are there, and just, sometimes, the hardest thing is to kind of put all those pieces together. Just have to stay patient, I know there are a lot of good things happening.”

Watch: Rose drops trou despite gator danger

By Golf Channel DigitalApril 26, 2018, 10:12 pm

We all know how fashion-conscious pro golfers are, and sometimes that even trumps modesty.

Take Justin Rose, whose tee shot on the par-3 third hole in Thursday's opening round of the Zurich Classic found the water. But the ball was close enough to shore for Rose to try to play it. Not wanting to get his light-colored pants dirty - what is up with all the white pants on Tour these days, anyway? - he took them off to play the shot.

If there were any gators in the water hazard - and this being Louisiana, there almost certainly were - they showed no interest in the Englishman.

It was only appropriate that Rose should strip down for a shot, as his partner, Henrik Stenson, famously did the same thing (to an even greater degree) at Doral in 2009.

Finally, just to provide some closure, Rose failed to get up and down.