Points to Remember:
- Start the golf swing by turning your shoulders and your hips in unison to a point where the shaft is pointing at 9:00 before your hands get involved.
- Start the downswing by shifting your weight off of the right foot as you turn your hips.
- In the downswing at 10:30, start straightening the right arm and flattening the left wrist to insure a square clubface at impact and beyond impact for 12 inches.
- Finish in balance and facing the target.
- Swing SLOWLY and DELIBERATELY holding the completion of each drill for 2 seconds.
- Repeat each drill for 12 repetitions before moving on.
- Swing through the 4 backswing drills, rest 2 minutes.
- Swing through the 4 downswing drills, rest 2 minutes.
- Swing through the Full Swing Drill for 12 repetitions to complete the Swinging Drills Routine.
1. Swing the Strength Trainer to the top of your backswing. Hold for 2 seconds.
2. Shift your weight off of your right foot as you turn your hips while swinging down to 10:30. Hold for 2 seconds.
3. From 10:30, straighten your right arm and flatten your left wrist squaring up the clubface to 5:00.
4. Keep swinging through to 3:00 creating maximum extension. Hold for 2 seconds.
Par Level = 12 reps
Birdie Level = 15 reps
Eagle Level = 20 reps
Start: Lie back with both knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Pull the right leg to the chest and wrap the center of the stretch trainer around the back of the thigh.
Action: Hold the stretch trainer equally on both sides and slowly bend the knee into the chest to create the stretch.
Finish: Release the tension and repeat but the second time increase the stretch.
Flexible low back will promote a fuller turn.
Keep in mind that as your body changes with becoming stronger and more flexible, its important to keep swinging your club to keep your tempo and timing in check! If you combined week one, two, three and four you should have 10 exercises on your chart. Try and complete this workout 2-3 days weekly. Remember to implement your cardio workout as well.
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 11 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.