Harris Habig Lead Suspended Canadian Tour Event

By Marty HenwoodSeptember 17, 2005, 4:00 pm
Canadian Tour-LargeNIAGRA FALLS, Ontario -- Michael Harris and Josh Habig share the lead during Saturday's suspended third round of the Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort Pro Am Classic. The pair is knotted at 8 under par at Thundering Waters Golf Club.
 
The third round was suspended due to darkness as the tournament struggles to get back into position. There were eight hours worth of delays on Friday, so the second round was completed Saturday.
 
The third round will resume at 7:30 a.m. (ET) Sunday morning and the groups will go back out right away without being re-paired for the final round.
 
Harris and Habig are through four and five holes, respectively. Harris, the Canadian Tour's leading money winner, was 2-over par on his third round, while Habig is even.
 
David Mathis was 1 over in the third round and is alone in third at minus-7. Ken Duke is 1 under so far in round three and has sole possession of fourth place at 6-under par.
 
Harris hopes to continue his strong play of late. He has won five titles in the last two months, including the Canadian Players Championship. Harris even tied for 21st last week at the Canadian Open on the PGA Tour.
 
'To shoot a couple under each day is the goal,' said Harris. 'Mother Nature came out and made things a little sloppy, but that's the way it goes. I'm looking forward to Sunday.'
 
Habig fired a 7-under 65 in Saturday's second round to get into the championship.
 
Michael Walton is even through five holes and is in fifth at minus-4.
 
Brian Unk, Jesse Smith, Jon Turcott and Brock Mackenzie share sixth at 3 under par.
 
The 36-hole cut came at plus-3 and 41 players will stick around for the final two rounds.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - Niagra Fallsview Casino Resort Pro-Am
  • Full Coverage - Niagra Fallsview Casino Resort Pro-Am
  • Getty Images

    McIlroy 'committed to everything ... ran out of holes'

    By Jay CoffinJuly 22, 2018, 7:08 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Rory McIlroy summed it up: “I don’t really feel like it’s a defeat. I feel like it’s a good week.”

    McIlroy, in search of his fifth major, tied for the lead at The Open late on Sunday at Carnoustie when he made eagle on the par-5 14th hole. An hour later, he had made five consecutive pars to close out a 1-under 70 and tie for second place with Justin Rose, Kevin Kisner and Xander Schauffele.

    That group ended two shots behind winner Francesco Molinari. McIlroy thought it was realistic to squeeze one more shot out of his round, but he never though it was possible to squeeze out two.

    “I committed to everything,” he said. “I hit the shots when I needed to. I made good swings on 17 and on 18. I just ran out of holes.”


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    McIlroy hasn’t played poorly this year, but this hasn't been a year that would rank as a total success. He took the Arnold Palmer Invitational in March and collected a second-place finish at the BMW PGA Championship. He had a legitimate chance to win the Masters before a terrible Sunday round, and then missed the cut at the U.S. Open last month at Shinnecock Hills.

    Sunday at Carnoustie, McIlroy bogeyed two of his first five holes and quickly became an afterthought. When others faltered, McIlroy birdies Nos. 9 and 11, then eagled 14 to vault back into the picture.

    “I’m happy with how I played,” he said. “I didn’t get off to a great start, but I hung in there, and I battled back.

    “So I’ll look back at this week and be very encouraged about what I’ve done and the golf that I played. I feel like that will stand me in good stead for what’s coming up.”

    McIlroy is scheduled to play the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in two weeks, followed by the PGA Championship and the FedExCup Playoffs.

    Getty Images

    Edoardo, other pros congratulate Francesco on Twitter

    By Grill Room TeamJuly 22, 2018, 6:54 pm

    Francesco Molinari played a bogey-free weekend at Carnoustie to claim Italy's first claret jug.

    His rock-solid performance in the final round earned him his share of social media plaudits.

    Here's a collection of Twitter hat-tips, and we start off with Frankie's brother, Dodo.

    Getty Images

    Woods: Fan who yelled had 'tipped back a few'

    By Jay CoffinJuly 22, 2018, 6:37 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Tiger Woods stood on the 18th tee and thought he needed birdie to have a chance to win The Open. He pulled driver out of his bag, a sign he wanted to boot the ball as far down the fairway as possible.

    Woods took a mighty swat and - right in the middle of his downswing - someone yelled. Woods flinched.

    Luckily his ball still found a decent spot just off the right of the fairway.


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    “I’ve had things like that happen a lot in my career with people who just tried to time it,” Woods said Sunday at Carnoustie after shooting 71 to tie for sixth place. “They tipped back a few, and it’s late in the day.

    “Unfortunately, that’s part of what we have to deal with in today’s game. People are trying to yell out things to try to be on TV or be in social media or whatever it may be. That was too close to the game of play.”

    Woods hit his approach to 6 feet and missed the birdie putt. He tapped in for par to shoot even par and finish 5 under for the week, in a tie for sixth.

    Getty Images

    Pros melt down on Twitter as they watch Tiger

    By Grill Room TeamJuly 22, 2018, 6:30 pm

    Tiger Woods mounted a final-round charge and, for a little while, took the outright lead at Carnoustie on Sunday.

    His fellow pros were watching and tweeting like your average fans.

    We compiled some of their missives below:

    Woods would go on to finish in a tie for sixth at 5 under par for the week.