Another Young Name to Know

By Mercer BaggsMarch 20, 2003, 5:00 pm
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Its no tall task to pick Charles Howell III out of a line-up. And finding the fashion-lively Aaron Baddeley is no Wheres Waldo? either.

You can probably spot Justin Rose, Adam Scott and Ty Tryon, too. But what about Nick Dougherty? Would you know it if the spiky-haired 20-year-old Brit sat down next to you?

Dougherty is making his PGA Tour debut in this weeks Bay Hill Invitational. He is in on a sponsors exemption, thanks to sharing the same agency (IMG) as tournament host Arnold Palmer.

If I could pick a tournament to play as a first one, this would be it, said Dougherty, who was a spectator at this event in 2001.

Dougherty is in his second full season as a professional, and his first was a tremendous success. He finished 36th on the European Tours Order of Merit (money list) and won the Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the Year Award.

This year, hes competed in eight events on the European circuit and has made all eight cuts.

Unfortunately thats not one of my goals, just to make cuts, said Dougherty, whose career-best finish on the tour is a runner-up last year in Qatar.

Ive lacked consistency for all four rounds. I keep throwing in the 72, 73 which has blown me out of opportunities to win golf tournaments.

He had one of those rounds Thursday, shooting 3-over 75, complete with six bogeys and three birdies.

While this may be Dougherty's maiden voyage on the PGA Tour, hes not suffering from homesickness.

Ive spent half my life growing up in America, he said.

Doughertys parents have been traveling Stateside since he was 10 years old. They own a home in the Orlando area, and the golf prodigy usually spent up to five months a year in the U.S.

Im pretty used to Florida golf and American golf. Weve got some good roots here, said Dougherty, whose brother lives in New York.

He also has a pristine record on this side of the Atlantic. Hes played in three competitive amateur events over here and won each of them. In addition to a pair of junior tournaments, he helped lead his Great Britain & Ireland team to victory in the 2001 Walker Cup in Sea Island, Ga.

For some reason, my amateur record seems to be a lot better in the States than the U.K., maybe the golf suits me more the way the courses are set up, he rationalized.

Dougherty is spending only one week in town before bolting back home to England, where he hasnt been since November. He hopes to have the opportunity to play in another U.S. event later in the year, and eventually would like to become a PGA Tour member.

Ideally, he would like to follow in the broad, world-traipsing footsteps of Ernie Els.

My goal is to play all over the world, and Id like to spend most of my time here in America, he said before adding, No matter what I do in my career or how much I play over here in the States, I will dedicate a lot of my time to Europe because the European Tour gave me a lot of opportunities.

After I turned pro, they gave me invites to play big tournaments which has allowed me to get where I am. So I owe a lot to them.

He feels the same way about Nick Faldo.

Dougherty has been the older Nicks protg since playing in the Faldo Junior Series. The six-time major winner has helped shape Dougherty into the player he is today.

But theres still plenty to learn. 'Little Nick' doesnt yet have his golfing idols single-minded determination.

Not there yet. Im 20 years old, so I like to enjoy myself still, he said. If I did all of this perfectly now I would be disappointed ' the idea that I can still improve a lot of things makes me hopeful that I can get a long way in the sport.

Dougherty picked up the game when he was four. Thats late now, he said. Children are starting younger and younger. He won his first tournament two years later.

During those formative years, he became an accomplished flutist. His dad gave him the instrument, figuring it would be easier to travel with from event to event than a guitar.

So his father traded in the strings for something more compact. There is a catch, however ' the guitar once belonged to Paul McCartney, and Doughertys father is a huge Beetles fan.

Nick could do little more than shake his head when asked why his father would do such a thing.

You have to ask the old man on that one, he said.

Even better with his metal woods than a woodwind, Dougherty greatly considered going to college in the U.S. He was courted by several top-notch programs, but ultimately decided to go the professional route.

The amount of opportunity I wanted in college golf would be playing tournament golf all year round, which in Britain you cant do. But I was playing international golf ' I was doing that already, traveling all over the world, he said.

Sometimes I regret a little bit I missed out on the college side of it, but I like the social side of golf, and I like my time off. Given how much I like to party in my time off it would not have been the best thing to go there.

Plus, If I had gone, my mom would have wanted me to finish my (schooling) and I dont believe I would have wanted to stay (an) amateur until I was 21, he said. Its a chance we took and it worked out.

Doughertys used to taking chances ' take one look at his hair.

It was red. Its gone pinky and a little bit orange in the back, he described. Golf is not just a sport, its a business; its all about marketingits about creating the right image.

Image isnt everything; talent counts for more. Dougherty may not have a complete hold over the former just yet, but hes certainly got a tight grip on the latter.

Related Links
  • Full-field scores from the Bay Hill Invitational
  • Full coverage of the Bay Hill Invitational
  • Getty Images

Open odds: Spieth 7/1 to win; Tiger, Rory 14/1

By Golf Channel DigitalJuly 21, 2018, 7:54 pm

Only 18 holes remain in the 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie, and the man tied atop the leaderboard is the same man who captured the claret jug last year at Royal Birkdale.

So it’s little surprise that Jordan Spieth is the odds-on favorite (7/4) to win his fourth major entering Sunday’s final round.

Xander Schauffele and Kevin Kisner, both tied with Spieth at 9 under par, are next in line at 5/1 and 11/2 respectively. Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy, both four shots behind the leaders, are listed at 14/1.

Click here for the leaderboard and take a look below at the odds, courtesy Jeff Sherman at golfodds.com.

Jordan Spieth: 7/4

Adam Scott: 80/1

Tony Finau: 80/1

Charley Hoffman: 100/1

Austin Cook: 100/1

Wandering photographer costs McIlroy on 16

By Ryan LavnerJuly 21, 2018, 7:44 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Rory McIlroy bogeyed two of his last four holes Saturday to fall four shots off the lead at The Open.

One of those mistakes might not have entirely been his fault.

McIlroy missed a short putt on the par-3 16th after a photographer was “in a world all his own,” wandering around near the green, taking photos of the crowd and not paying attention to the action on the green.

“It’s fine,” McIlroy said after a third-round 70 put him at 5-under 208, four shots off the lead. “It’s one of those things that happens. There’s a lot of people out there, and it is what it is. It’s probably my fault, but I just didn’t regroup well after it happened.”

McIlroy also bogeyed the home hole, after driving into a fairway bunker, sending his second shot right of the green and failing to get up and down.

“I putted well,” he said. “I holed out when I needed to. I just need to make the birdies and try to limit the damage tomorrow.”

Kisner not expecting awkward night with Spieth

By Ryan LavnerJuly 21, 2018, 7:33 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – It might get awkward in that star-studded rental house Saturday night.

Two of the three Open co-leaders, Jordan Spieth and Kevin Kisner, are sharing a house this week near Carnoustie. Though it’ll be late by the time they both get back to the house Saturday night, they’ll have plenty of time to kill Sunday morning, with their tee times not until nearly 3 p.m. local time.

“Everybody is probably going to get treatment and eating and trying to find a bed,” Kisner said. “I’m sure there’ll be some conversations. There always are. Everybody has a few horror stories or good laughs over something that happened out there. That will probably be the end of it.”

One thing they’re almost certain to discuss is the weather.

After three days of mostly benign conditions, Sunday’s forecast calls for warm temperatures and wind gusts up to 25 mph.

“When you watch any TV, that’s all they talk about – how Sunday’s coming,” Kisner said. “It’s going to be a true test, and we’ll get to see really who’s hitting it the best and playing the best.”

Zach Johnson is also in the house – along with Rickie Fowler, Justin Thomas, Jimmy Walker and Jason Dufner – and he rode to the course Saturday with Kisner, with whom he played in the final group, at 4 p.m. It’s unclear whether the co-leaders Sunday will have a similar arrangement.

This is the third year that Spieth and Co. have shared a house at The Open, though Kisner is a new addition to the group.

“It’s the end of the week,” Kisner said. “Everybody’s got a lot of stuff going on. Everybody’s going their separate ways tomorrow. Tomorrow morning we’ll all sit around and laugh on the couch and talk about why that guy’s making so many birdies.”

Final-round tee times for the 147th Open Championship

By Golf Channel DigitalJuly 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Jordan Spieth begins his quest for a second consecutive claret jug and fourth major overall at 9:45 a.m. ET Sunday at Carnoustie, playing alongside Xander Schauffele. This marks the first time Schauffele has ever held a 54-hole lead in his career.

The Kevins – Kisner and Chappell – are in the penultimate group, 10 minutes earlier at 9:35 a.m. Kisner is tied with Spieth and Schauffele at 9 under par. Chappell is two shots back at 7 under.

But it’s the next group that has people interested the most. Tiger Woods is paired with Francesco Molinari at 9:25 a.m. Woods, in search of his 15th major championship and first in 10 years, shot a third-round 66 to vault into a tie for sixth place, four shots behind the lead. He began the day six shots behind. Molinari has two wins and two second-place finishes in his last four events.

Rory McIlroy was within striking distance of the lead but bogeyed two of the last three holes to drop into a sixth-place tie. He is paired with 2017 Open runner-up Matt Kuchar at 9:05 a.m.

3:00AM ET: Beau Hossler