TOUR Life Week 1 in the Majors

By Nick FlanaganSeptember 25, 2007, 4:00 pm
Editor's note: Nick Flanagan competed in his first event as a card-carrying PGA TOUR member in this past week's Turning Stone Resort Championship. Here is a look at his week on TOUR, on and off the course.
The course at Turning Stone was in perfect condition, the greens possibly as good as anything I have putted on all year; although, my putting stats didn't reflect that.
Nick Flanagan
Aside from a little problem with his putter, Week 1 of the Fall Series was a success for Nick Flanagan. (WireImage)
I was reasonably happy and satisfied with my tie for 18th. I hit the ball well and as this was my first game in almost a month I can't complain. I had the last tee time on the first two days and knew that I needed a strong finish to make the cut on Friday. I birdied two out of the last three holes to make it on the number and in doing so knocked out all those on 3 under, which included my mate Michael Sim.
I have been working on getting my backswing steeper as I tend to let it get a little flat at times. I struggled with my putting and putted as bad as I have all year, so I have a lot of work to do there.
This week I shared accommodations with my good friend - and the afforementioned - Michael Sim. We roomed together throughout 2006 on the Nationwide Tour and it was great to be back together again. I arrived back in the States on Friday, September 14th and met up with my coach in Orlando, Florida, where I practiced over the weekend before arriving at the Turning Stone Resort late on Monday afternoon.
Michael and I had a great time catching up and just hanging out together. I spend a lot of my down time on the computer talking to my friends back in Australia and those on other golf tours around the world etc.
On Tuesday, Michael and I had a practice round together in the morning and in the night we went out to dinner with a few of the guys who I have been unable to catch up with during the year, which was a lot of fun. The rest of the week was just spent eating at the Resort most nights and taking it quiet until Sunday.
I have been working hard on putting some weight on and building myself up. I have always struggled to put on weight and keep it on so I am continually working with my trainer to find the right formula to make this happen. Since my hernia operation in June, after which I lost around 10 lbs, I have managed to put on 12 lbs which is a major achievement for me. I have been working at the gym consistently and having three protein shakes a day.
After Michael missed the cut, he headed down to Mississippi to prepare for next week's event and I then hooked up with another aussie mate, Nathan Green, who is from the same city as me back in Australia. Nathan educated me on black jack in the casino - I won early in the week but lost a little on Sunday. Nonetheless, it was a lot of fun.
This week I have been overwhelmed by the e-mails congratulating me on my promotion and wishing me good luck - thank you to everyone, I feel very honoured that you took the time to do that.
I felt so well looked after this past week, from the courtesy car I was provided with on arrival at the airport to the hospitality of everyone involved in the event.
I received some new pants early in the week and as I am only 5'9', my pants always have to be taken up a couple of inches. When on the Nationwide Tour I always had to find someone somewhere to do this for me - not always an easy thing in small towns. This week I asked the Conceirge in the resort if he could advise me on where to take them. He simply said, 'We have a seamstress on hand to do those type of things for you, Sir,' which I thought was amazing. Then when I told him to put the charges on my room account, he said there would be no charge! The pants were back in my room that night. Now that is service!
I did a little shopping at the tournament - my Dad collects golf balls and so I got him one along with a flag. Mum got a set of crystal coasters.
I did a brief Media Conference on Wednesday, which was pretty neat. Though afterwards, it took awhile to walk back to the clubhouse as I was stopped at least three times by journalists wanting some one-on-one stuff.
In the locker room there were at least five or six players (not Aussies) who came up and congratulated me on my 'battlefield promotion;' they didn't have to do that so it meant a lot. I felt very comfortable in my new surroundings.
I played with Rocco Mediate in the final round which was great. I was a little serious on the first tee, but Rocco put me at ease. He was really talkative and loads of fun to play with, and it made me relax totally which no doubt contributed to my good finish.
Email your thoughts to Nick
Related Links:
  • Nick Flanagan's 2007 Results
  • Full Coverage - Turning Stone Championship
  • Full Coverage - Viking Classic
  • Fall Series Coverage
  • Getty Images

    'Hungover' Pepperell improbably in mix after 67

    By Rex HoggardJuly 22, 2018, 4:20 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Eddie Pepperell’s 11:40 a.m. tee time on Sunday at The Open was a tad early, and not just because the Englishman was heading out more than three hours before the leaders.

    Following a third-round 71 that dropped him eight strokes off the lead, Pepperell did what many golfers do after a less-than-stellar round – he drank.

    “Honestly, I was a little hungover. I won't lie. I had too much to drink last night,” said Pepperell, who said he went to bed on Friday at around 11:30 p.m. “I was so frustrated yesterday, that today was really, I wouldn't say a write-off, but I didn't feel I was in the golf tournament. Whether I shot 69 or 73 today, it wouldn't have been heartbreaking.”

    Pepperell was much closer to the former on Sunday, posting a round-of-the-day 67 to move to within one stroke of the lead held by multiple players as the leaders made the turn.

    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship

    Pepperell had just a single bogey on a blustery day at Carnoustie and closed his round with birdies at Nos. 14 and 17. It was one of just four rounds in the 60s on a course that had become increasingly difficult with each gust.

    With six players tied for the lead at 6 under par, including defending champion Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy, Pepperell planned to wait and see how the afternoon progressed.

    “The only hope I have is that it's Carnoustie, and the last three, four holes, even though they're downwind, still anything can happen with obviously pressure and all that sort of stuff out here,” he said. “So I'll have to hang around.”

    Getty Images

    Tiger Tracker: 147th Open Championship

    By Tiger TrackerJuly 22, 2018, 4:00 pm

    Tiger Woods is stalking his 15th career major championship trophy. Follow the action with our tracker to see if he can get it done at Carnoustie.

    Getty Images

    Pros melting down on Twitter as they watch Tiger

    By Grill Room TeamJuly 22, 2018, 3:42 pm

    Tiger Woods mounted a final-round charge and took the outright lead at Carnoustie on Sunday.

    His fellow pros have been watching and tweeting like your average fans.

    We're compiling their missives below:

    Getty Images

    Watch: Full replays of The Open coverage

    By Golf Channel DigitalJuly 22, 2018, 11:00 am

    NBC Sports and Golf Channel are showcasing nearly 50 hours of live coverage of the 147th Open. Missed anything? Well, you can catch up right here. Click on the links below for replays from Carnoustie, broken down into daily segments:

    Saturday, Day 3 (Times ET)

    7AM-3PM (Watch): Jordan Spieth fired 65 to move into a three-way share of the 54-hole lead, while Tiger Woods (66) played his way into contention. Click here or on the image below to watch. Also, click here to watch the full replay of the marquee group: Rickie Fowler and Thorbjorn Olesen.

    4:30-7AM (Watch): Sunny skies and birdies were on the menu early in Round 3, as Justin Rose made his way around Carnoustie in 64 strokes. Click here or on the image below to watch. Also, click here to watch the full replay of the marquee group: Henrik Stenson and Bryson DeChambeau.

    Friday, Day 2 (Times ET)

    8:20AM-3PM (Watch): As the skies cleared on Friday afternoon, defending champion Jordan Spieth made a run to try and regain the claret jug. Click here or on the image below to watch. Also, click here to watch the full replay of the marquee group: Jordan Spieth, Justin Rose and Kiradech Aphibarnrat.

    1:30-8:20AM (Watch): On a rainy Friday morning at Carnoustie, Rory McIlroy shot 69 to reach 4 under, while Zach Johnson fired a 67 for the early lead. Click here or on the image below to watch. Also, click here to watch the full replay of the marquee group: Brooks Koepka, Ian Poulter and Cameron Smith.

    Thursday, Day 1 (Times ET)

    Noon-4PM (Watch): Tiger Woods was up and down in the afternoon, as winds picked up a little and no one could catch Kevin Kisner. Click here or on the image below to watch. Also, click here to watch the full replay of the marquee group: Woods, Russell Knox and Hideki Matsuyama.

    1:30-8:25AM (Watch): Defending champion Jordan Spieth got off to a good start, while Kevin Kisner (66) set the early pace. Click here or on the image below to watch. Also, click here to watch the full replay of the marquee group: Rickie Fowler, Jon Rahm and Chris Wood.