Anderson Leads Canadian Tour Champ

By Sports NetworkSeptember 2, 2006, 4:00 pm
Canadian Tour-LargeBARRIE, Ont. -- Stuart Anderson managed an even-par 70 Saturday and he now holds the lead by himself after three rounds of the Canadian Tour Championship. Anderson stands at 4-under-par 206 after 54 holes.
 
Joseph Lanza, who shared the lead with Anderson and Eric Jorgensen after two rounds, faltered to a 2-over 72. He is alone in second at minus-2.
 
Andy Matthews (69) and Matt McQuillan (65) are the final players in red figures at 1-under-par 209. McQuillan's 65 was by two strokes the low round of the day, a day in which just five players carded sub-par rounds in rainy, windy conditions.
 
Bret Guetz used a 67 to move into a share of fifth at even-par 210. He stands alongside Lee Curry (69).
 
Anderson got off to a quick start with birdies on one and two. After giving a stroke back on the fifth, Anderson birdied No. 6 at the Highlands Golf Course at Horseshoe Valley Resort.
 
The 28-year-old faltered to back-to-back bogeys from the seventh to slide to even-par for his round.
 
Anderson carded two birdies and two bogeys on the back nine to remain at 4 under par.
 
'It was just kind of one of those rounds -- make a birdie, make a bogey,' stated Anderson, whose lone tour win came last year. 'That bogey on seven took a little wind out of my sails. I was really rolling up to that point. If I didn't have any hiccups this week, I'd be leading this thing by six or seven shots.'
 
Lanza bogeyed each of the first two holes. He recovered one stroke with a birdie on the fifth. However, he gave that stroke back with a bogey on the eighth. Around the turn, he birdied the 11th and bogeyed 18 to end in second place.
 
'It wasn't a good ball-striking day,' admitted Lanza. 'But if you have a round like that and still end up two-over on this golf course, you've done some things right. This is where I want to be. I'm obviously not out of the golf tournament and that's all you can ask for.'
 
Jorgensen struggled to a 5-over 75 and tumbled into a share of seventh at 1-over-par 211. He was joined there by George Bradford and Joe Horowitz.
 
Ben Bunny, Lucas Bates, Brendan Steele and Michael Walton are one stroke further back at plus-2.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - Canadian Tour Championship
  • Full Coverage - Canadian Tour Championship
  • Getty Images

    Ball headed O.B., Stone (68) gets huge break

    By Mercer BaggsJuly 19, 2018, 2:14 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Brandon Stone knew it when he hit it.

    “I knew I hit it out of bounds,” the South African said following his opening round in the 147th Open Championship.

    Stone’s second shot on the par-4 18th, from the left fescue, was pulled into the grandstands, which are marked as O.B. But instead of settling in with the crowd, the ball ricocheted back towards the green and nearly onto the putting surface.

    Stone made his par and walked away with a 3-under 68, two shots off the early lead.

    “I really didn’t put a good swing on it, bad contact and it just came out way left,” Stone said. “I feel so sorry for the person I managed to catch on the forehead there, but got a lucky break.


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    “When you get breaks like that you know you’re going to have good weeks.”

    It’s been more than just good luck recently for Stone. He shot 60 in the final round – missing a 9-foot birdie putt for the first 59 in European Tour history – to win last week’s Scottish Open. It was his third career win on the circuit and first since 2016. It was also just his first top-10 of the season.

    “A testament to a different mental approach and probably the change in putter,” said Stone, who added that he switched to a new Ping Anser blade model last week.

    “I’ve been putting, probably, the best I have in my entire life.”

    This marks Stone’s sixth start in a major championship, with his best finish a tie for 35th in last year’s U.S. Open. He has a missed cut and a T-70 in two prior Open Championships.

    Getty Images

    Kang on cheating allegation: 'I did the right thing'

    By Ryan LavnerJuly 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Three weeks after his playing partner claimed that he “cheated,” taking an improper drop at the Quicken Loans National, Sung Kang insisted Thursday that he did nothing wrong.

    Joel Dahmen tweeted that Kang cheated after a lengthy dispute about where his ball had last crossed the line of a hazard. A PGA Tour official ruled in Kang’s favor. Kang made par on the hole, shot 64 and earned one of the available spots in the Open Championship.

    Kang didn’t learn of the controversy until the next day, when he received an email from a PGA Tour communications official seeking comment. He researched online what the furor was about, then issued a brief statement through the Tour (which added its own statement, saying that there was “no clear evidence” to suggest that Kang dropped incorrectly).


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    Kang said he tried to clear the air with Dahmen before the first round of last week’s John Deere Classic, but they never had the opportunity to discuss their differences.

    “I followed the rules official and I think I did the right thing,” Kang told a handful of reporters Thursday following his opening round at Carnoustie, where he shot a 2-under 69 to sit three shots off the early lead.

    Kang said he was hesitant to discuss the incident with reporters, because he said there clearly was a difference in opinions. He said he’d already told his side to South Korean news outlets but that “whatever I say, some people are going to trust it and some people are not going to trust it. Then I’ve got to think about it more and more when it’s not going to help my golf game.”

    “I really want to say a lot of things about it, the truth about what happened,” he added, “but I’m not going to say anything.”

    Kang said that he wouldn’t alter his approach when dealing with rulings in the future.

    “No. Why?” he said. “I did the right thing. There’s no point in changing.”

    Getty Images

    Kisner (67) enjoying 'frat' life, soccer matches with Jordan and Co.

    By Rex HoggardJuly 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – The frat house tradition continued this year at The Open, with a group of seven high-profile Americans rooming together for the week, including early first-round leader Kevin Kisner.

    Kisner explained after his opening 5-under 66 that the group – which includes Jordan Spieth, Jason Dufner, Zach Johnson, Jimmy Walker, Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler – has spent the week talking about how demanding Carnoustie is playing and enjoying the summer weather.

    “We're out there playing soccer at night and hanging out,” he said.


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    To be clear, this isn’t a proper soccer match, but instead a penalty-kick situation with all but one player taking turns trying to score.

    “I just try to smash [Dufner] in the face,” Kisner laughed. “He's the all-time goalie.”

    Although Kisner said he’s always impressed with the athletic prowess of other players, Spieth has proven himself particularly adept on the impromptu pitch.

    “Jordan scored when Duf tripped, it was hilarious,” Kisner smiled. “[Spieth] is good until he sends it over the goal four houses over, and we've got to go knock on a neighbor’s door for the soccer ball.”

    The group is actually staying in two local houses that are next to each other, one with a large enough back yard and a soccer net, but perhaps not enough soccer balls.

    “We’re going to have to Amazon Prime a couple new balls to replace the ones we lost,” Kisner said.