The tournament, which was originally scheduled to begin Thursday, was reduced to 36 holes on Friday as tournament officials hoped to complete the event over the weekend. With more rain on Saturday, and after the tournament had been cut down to 18 holes, officials made the decision.
'With the additional rain we've had this afternoon we know there isn't any realistic way we can come back and play on Sunday,' said Nationwide Tour Tournament Director John Slater. 'To wait until the morning would be pointless because we already know what condition the course will be in.'
This marks the first time that a Nationwide Tour event was canceled since the 1997 Shreveport Open. That year, heavy rain forced the tournament to be rescheduled from April to October. Officials are hopeful that the Henrico County Open can be rescheduled in a similar way.
'We are looking to possibly reschedule this event for July,' said Slater. 'This has been a difficult week for everyone.'