Sorenstam Records Record Blow-Out Victory

By Sports NetworkJune 2, 2002, 4:00 pm
AURORA, Ill. -- Annika Sorenstam added a few more LPGA records to her collection Sunday when she fired a 7-under 65 to put the finishing touches on an 11-shot blowout win at the inaugural Kellogg-Keebler Classic.

Her 21-under-par matched the lowest 54-hole winning score in relation to par in LPGA Tour history and her 195 total strokes matched the best raw score for a 54-hole winning score. Wendy Ward established the marks at last year's Wendy's Championship.

'Obviously, I'm very pleased with the way I played this week,' said Sorenstam. 'I was not expecting to finish 21-under, especially when someone asked me earlier in the week what I thought the winning score would be. I said double digits, so I was right, but I didn't know.'

Sorenstam won her fourth title of the 2002 campaign and took home her 35th trophy since joining the LPGA Tour in 1994. She captured the first major of the season at the Nabisco Championship and enjoyed a fine tune-up before next week's second major the LPGA Championship.

'I feel great about my game,' said Sorenstam, who pocketed $180,000 for the win. 'I couldn't have asked for a better warm-up, so to speak, to get my game in shape. I hit a lot of drivers this week because I knew I would have to do it a lot next week. I have a lot of confidence and do have a lot of confidence in my game.'

Last year, Sorenstam set an LPGA record with a 59 in the Standard-Register Ping event and in the same tournament set a record for lowest 72-hole score in relation to par at 27-under. Michele Redman, Mhairi McKay and Danielle Ammaccapane were this week's runners-up at 10-under par. McKay and Ammaccapane each birdied the 18th hole to join Redman 11 shots behind Sorenstam.

'I really wasn't playing to win this golf tournament, I was playing to finish second because I didn't see her coming back,' said Ammaccapane, who was paired with Sorenstam Sunday. 'Not on this golf course and not the way that she's been playing. I was trying to stay close to her, but at one point, she just pulled away.'

Sorenstam 'pulled away' around the turn Sunday. She birdied eight and nine and ran home a six-foot birdie at No. 11 and a four-footer at the par-4 13th.

The Swede made it two in a row at 14 when she drained a nine-footer and closed her round with back-to-back birdies at 16 and 17. Sorenstam's caddie told her that she could break the 54-hole scoring mark on the 18th tee and Sorenstam went after it at the par-5 closing hole at Stonebridge Country Club.

She hit driver and then went at the putting surface with a 4-iron. Sorenstam missed the green short and chipped to eight feet, where she missed the birdie putt that would have broken Ward's records.

'I like to know those things,' said Sorenstam. 'I was aggressive and hit driver, 4-iron. What I had was not the easiest chip, but I tried. It was just one of those weeks. To shoot 65 on Sunday, I'll take that any day. Of course, it would have been nice to do a little bit better, but I'm happy.'

Final results from the Kellogg-Keebler Classic

After 36, new Open favorite is ... Fleetwood

By Golf Channel DigitalJuly 20, 2018, 7:49 pm

With a handful of the pre-championship favorites exiting early, there is a new odds-on leader entering the third round of The Open at Carnoustie.

While Zach Johnson and Kevin Kisner share the 36-hole lead, it's England's Tommy Fleetwood who leads the betting pack at 11/2. Fleetwood begins the third round one shot off the lead.

Click here for the leaderboard and take a look below at the odds, courtesy Jeff Sherman at golfodds.com.

Tommy Fleetwood: 11/2