Watson North Take Victory at Legends

By Associated PressApril 27, 2008, 4:00 pm
2007 Liberty Mutual Legends of GolfSAVANNAH, Ga. (AP)'Tom Watson and Andy North got what they wanted, but had to work for it, edging Greg Stadler and Jeff Sluman by a stroke Sunday in the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf.
 
Watson and North teamed for a better-ball 64 at The Club at Savannah Harbor for a 31-under 185 total. Stadler and Sluman shot a 61 on the island course in the middle of the Savannah River. Sandy Lyle and Ian Woosnam (60) finished two strokes back.
 
To hit quality shots when it counts, thats what makes me tingle, said Watson, who won the Outback Steakhouse Pro-Am last week in Florida.
 
They started the day with a four-stroke lead, but in a format that produces tons of birdies, it wasnt surprising that others finally made a run at Watson and North.
 
I birdied No. 11, Sluman said. But, I had eagled it the previous two days, so Craig was a little disappointed there.
 
Stadler and Sluman, playing one hole ahead of Watson and North, had consecutive birdies on Nos. 11-14. During that run, Slumans chip within 4 feet on the 13th pulled them into a tie with the leaders at 28 under.
 
But North broke the tie with a 15-footer a few minutes later on the 13th. Stadler got his team to 29 under with a chip to 2 feet at No. 14, but Watson matched it from 6 feet when he got to the 14th, regaining the lead.
 
Stadler birdied No. 16, but Watson, after first backing off to let a bug crawl out of his line to the cup, sealed it with a birdie on No. 17.
 
I hit a chip to about 18 feet on 17 and rattled that one right in there, Watson said.
 
Watson and North, who have played 162 consecutive holes together without a bogey, had campaigned loud and long for the Legends to return to a team format. They paired up to win the Raphael Division the last three years, but it was always unofficial money. Only the Legends Division was official money, and it was individual play.
 
We worked so hard to get this format, said North, who earned $225,000 for his share of this win. We felt it was really important to play well.
 
This was Norths first win'or share of a win'since the 1985 U.S. Open at Oakland Hills.
 
To get into the Legends Division, North was one of four who needed a sponsor exemption. North, who has had 11 operations for various injuries, spends most of his time doing television work for ABC and ESPN. Being part of the winning team now makes North exempt, but he doesnt expect to use his new playing privileges.
 
My schedule, North said. Im solid. The events Id really like to play, Im working. The Senior Open, Senior British Open, I work.
 
Woosnam, Wayne Grady and Bill Rogers also needed sponsor exemptions to get into the tournament, a move that was popular with most Champions Tour players. But not all. Hale Irwin, for one, stayed away this week.
 
Thats his decision, Sluman said.
 
Oh, well, Stadler said. Hope he enjoyed his time off.
 
The Legends was first played in 1978 in Austin, Texas, and is considered the event that launched the 50-and-over tour. It was all team play until 2002, but always unofficial money. The tournament was played in four cities and on eight courses before coming to Savannah in 2003.
 
Notes
 
Watson earned 225 points to move into fourth place in the Charles Schwab Cup race with 633. Comedian Bill Murray was among the spectators during the final round. He spent some time afterward with Sluman in the media room. Defending champion Jay Haas teamed with old Wake Forest teammate Curtis Strange. They tied for 23rd at 16-under 200. North played the final round wearing a Wisconsin Badgers shirt and cap. Well, Ive got no other contracts going, so I figure I may as well support my guys, he said. The tours intrepid stats crew figured it was 22 years, 10 months, 11 days since Norths last win.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
  • Getty Images

    Caddies drop lawsuit; Tour increases healthcare stipend

    By Rex HoggardOctober 18, 2018, 3:33 pm

    After nearly four years of litigation, a group of PGA Tour caddies have dropped their lawsuit against the circuit.

    The lawsuit, which was filed in California in early 2015, centered on the bibs caddies wear during tournaments and ongoing attempts by the caddies to improve their healthcare and retirement options.

    The caddies lost their class-action lawsuit in U.S. District Court and an appeal this year.

    Separately, the Association of Professional Tour Caddies, which was not involved in the lawsuit but represents the caddies to the Tour, began negotiating with the circuit last year.

    “I told the guys, if we really want a healthy working relationship with the Tour, we need to fix this and open the lines of communication,” said Scott Sajtinac, the president of the APTC.

    In January 2017, Jay Monahan took over as commissioner of the Tour and began working with the APTC to find a solution to the healthcare issue. Sajtinac said the Tour has agreed to increase the stipend it gives caddies for healthcare beginning next year.

    “It took a year and a half, but it turned out to be a good result,” Sajtinac said. “Our goal is to close that window for the guys because healthcare is such a massive chunk of our income.”

    The Tour did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the agreement or the end to the lawsuit.

    Caddies have received a stipend from the Tour for healthcare for some time, and although Sajtinac wouldn’t give the exact increase, he said it was over 300 percent. Along with the APTC’s ability to now negotiate healthcare plans as a group, the new stipend should dramatically reduce healthcare costs for caddies.

    “It’s been really good,” said Sajtinac, who did add that there are currently no talks with the Tour to created a retirement program for caddies. “Everybody is really excited about this.”

    Getty Images

    PGA Tour Latinoamerica moving season finale to Doral

    By Nick MentaOctober 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

    PGA Tour Latinoamérica announced Wednesday that it will play its season finale, the Latinoamérica Tour Championship-Shell Championship, at Trump National Doral from Nov. 29-Dec. 2.

    The limited-field event will feature the top 60 players on the circuit's money list competing on Doral's Golden Palm Course.

    “We are very happy that we will continue playing the Latinoamérica Tour Championship-Shell Championship in South Florida, and Doral is a tremendous community that we know will open its arms to our players and this tournament,” PGA Tour Latinoamérica president Jack Warfield said in a statement.

    The PGA Tour ended its more than 50-year relationship with Doral and the resort's Blue Monster course back in 2016, when Cadillac's title sponsorship of the World Golf Championship lapsed as then-candidate Donald Trump was mounting his bid for the presidency.

    “We continue to stand by our earlier statement, and the statement of other golf organizations, that Mr. Trump's comments are inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf,” then-PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said in December 2015, referring to Trump's campaign rhetoric concerning Mexicans and Muslims.

    The event was moved to Mexico City in 2017 and renamed the WGC-Mexico Championship.

    The Latinoamérica Tour Championship was staged the last two years at Melreese Country Club in Miami, where David Beckham is currently attempting to build a stadium for his Major League Soccer expansion club, Inter Miami.

    PGA Tour Latinoamérica's release states that the move to Doral "keeps the event in this part of the Sunshine State and allows the tournament to maintain its ties to The First Tee of Miami as a charitable recipient and sponsor." Melreese, the city's only public golf course, is home to the First Tee of Miami, which naturally opposes Beckham's efforts to close the facility and repurpose the land.

    A November referendum will ask voters to decide if the city should negotiate a no-bid lease with Beckham's ownership group, which seeks to create a $1 billion dollar complex comprising of the proposed stadium, youth soccer fields, a park, commercial and retail space, and a hotel.

    Im wins Web.com Player and Rookie of the Year awards

    By Nick MentaOctober 18, 2018, 1:22 pm

    Sungjae Im on Thursday was named the Web.com Tour's 2018 Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year.

    Im won twice on the Web.com this year, taking the season opener in January, The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic, and the season finale in August, the WinCo Foods Portland Open, to become the first player in history lead the circuit's money list wire-to-wire.

    Im is the first Korean-born player to win the Web's POY award and, at 20 years old, its youngest recipient.

    In a player vote, Im bested Anders Albertson, Sam Burns, Kramer Hickok and Martin Trainer, 2018's only other two-time winner, for POY honors, and Burns, Hickock, Trainer and Cameron Champ for ROY honors.

    “My first year on the Web.com Tour was an incredibly happy time for me,” Im said, “and it’s pretty surreal that I was able to win the first and last tournament of the season. I honestly thought I would spend about two to three years on the Web.com Tour before making it to the PGA Tour, so I’m happy to have achieved my goal so soon. I’m grateful to have earned the Player of the Year honors and I hope to finish the remainder of the PGA Tour season on a good note.”

    In his first PGA Tour start, Im tied for fourth at the Safeway Open, earning $241,280, a little less than half of the $534,326 he amassed in 25 starts as the Web's regular-season money winner.

    Playing this week's CJ Cup in his native South Korea, Im opened with a 1-over 73 Thursday.

    Getty Images

    Former DJ advisor found guilty in embezzlement case

    By Golf Channel DigitalOctober 18, 2018, 12:38 pm

    A federal jury has found Nathan Hardwick, a former advisor to Dustin Johnson, guilty of embezzling $26 million in funds from his now-bankrupt real estate closing firm, Morris Hardwick Schneider.

    Per Golf.com, citing Law.com, a 12-person jury convicted Hardwick of "one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, 21 counts of wire fraud and one count of making false statements to federally insured banks."

    As for where exactly the money went, The Sun News of Myrtle Beach, once again citing Law.com, has the details:

    "The alleged spending included $18.47 million on gambling, private jet travel and women from 2011 through August 2014. The prosecution submitted two binders of documentation as evidence that Hardwick spent $4.39 million on “female social companions,” including one testifying witness who claimed to have met him through SugarDaddy.com."

    "Other alleged expenditures described in testimony include more than $7 million at casinos, more than $3 million with a bookie, $680,000 for a luxury condo at The St. Regis Atlanta, $273,000 on a diamond ring, $186,000 on a deposit for a party on a private island, and $635,000 on a trip to the 2014 British Open for golfing buddies that included a customized jet and round at St. Andrews."

    Johnson in 2014 sued Morris Hardwick Schneider over a $3 million loan he believed to be an investment. Instead, Johnson argued, the money was going to make up for shortages created by Hardwick's embezzlement. Johnson later amended his suit to argue that Hardwick, who previously served on the board of the Dustin Johnson Foundation, was being used as a "pawn" by the firm's other partners. 

    That suit was settled in 2016 for $2 million.