Ernie Els doesnt want a foreigner to win in South Africa

By Sports NetworkDecember 17, 2008, 5:00 pm
WESTERN CAPE, South Africa ' Ernie Els wants the strong contingent of home players assembled at this weeks South African Open to overcome the high-class international field and win the title.
 
The worlds ninth-ranked nine and four-time winner of the second oldest national Open, leads a host of big names at Pearl Valley Estates.
 
Trevor Immelman, Retief Goosen, Henrik Stenson, Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke are all competing in the event in Paarl, alongside defending champion James Kingston, Rory Sabbatini and Justin Rose.
 
Only nine non-South African players have ever won the title and Els, a three-time major winner, is hoping that total will not change come Sunday.
 
We South Africans love our sport and we dont want any foreigner to win our national tournament, so to speak, Els said.
 
I think our guys will really pick up their games, especially with the world-class players here. It definitely sharpens your focus a little bit. The tournament is very healthy seeing all the players coming back to play. Weve got a world-class field here. For this time of year to be in South Africa, it means weve got something special, so Im rather pleased with whats been going on.
 
Els, who will be one of the early starters on Thursday playing alongside compatriot Sabbatini and Swede Stenson, praised the Jack Nicklaus-designed course, adding that he was looking forward to the week.
 
The golf course is in unbelievable shape, really in remarkable condition, Els said. Id like to play well here and get myself really teed up for next year.
 
This is a tournament that I really wanted to come and play. I regard the South African Open very highly. It really launched my career in a way. Back in 1992, winning here gave me a lot of spots into international tournaments and really set me up. So I owe this tournament a lot of gratitude.
 
Stenson, the world No. 8, comes into the tournament after an outstanding 2008 that saw him finish tied third at the British Open and fourth in the PGA Championship.
 
He also claimed recent wins at the Omega Mission Hills World Cup and the Nedbank Golf Challenge in South Africa.
 
I think it (2008) went from very good to great, Stenson said. Ive had two wins in 2007, two wins in 2006, so its very nice to get these two tournaments.
 
Its a very good course with lots of options off the tee, and a lot of wind. Its going to be a tough week I think if it keeps blowing like this.
 
Related Links:
 
  • Full Coverage
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
     

  • Getty Images

    Weather extends Barbasol to Monday finish

    By Associated PressJuly 23, 2018, 12:25 am

    NICHOLASVILLE, Ky. - A thunderstorm has suspended the fourth round of the PGA Tour's Barbasol Championship until Monday morning.

    Sunday's third stoppage of play at Champions Trace at Keene Trace Golf Club came with the four leaders - Hunter Mahan, Robert Streb, Tom Lovelady and Troy Merritt at 18 under par - and four other contenders waiting to begin the round.

    The tournament will resume at 7:30 a.m. on Monday. Lightning caused one delay, and play was stopped earlier in the afternoon to clear water that accumulated on the course following a morning of steady and sometimes-heavy rain.

    Inclement weather has plagued the tournament throughout the weekend. The second round was completed Saturday morning after being suspended by thunderstorms late Friday afternoon.

    The resumption will mark the PGA Tour's second Monday finish this season. Jason Day won the Farmers Insurance Open in January after darkness delayed the sixth playoff hole, and he needed just 13 minutes to claim the victory.

    Getty Images

    Watch: Spectator films as Woods' shot hits him

    By Will GrayJuly 23, 2018, 12:07 am

    It was a collision watched by millions of fans on television, and one that came at a pivotal juncture as Tiger Woods sought to win The Open. It also gave Colin Hauck the story of a lifetime.

    Hauck was among dozens of fans situated along the left side of the 11th hole during the final round at Carnoustie as the pairing of Woods and Francesco Molinari hit their approach shots. After 10 holes of nearly flawless golf, Woods missed the fairway off the tee and then pulled his iron well left of the target.

    The ball made square contact with Hauck, who hours later tweeted a video showing the entire sequence - even as he continued to record after Woods' shot sent him tumbling to the ground:

    The bounce initially appeared fortuitous for Woods, as his ball bounded away from thicker rough and back toward the green. But an ambitious flop shot came up short, and he eventually made a double bogey to go from leading by a shot to trailing by one. He ultimately shot an even-par 71, tying for sixth two shots behind Molinari.

    For his efforts as a human shield, Hauck received a signed glove and a handshake from Woods - not to mention a firsthand video account that will be sure to spark plenty of conversations in the coming years.

    Getty Images

    Molinari retirement plan: coffee, books and Twitter

    By Will GrayJuly 22, 2018, 9:35 pm

    After breaking through for his first career major, Francesco Molinari now has a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, a 10-year exemption in Europe and has solidified his standing as one of the best players in the world.

    But not too long ago, the 35-year-old Italian was apparently thinking about life after golf.

    Shortly after Molinari rolled in a final birdie putt to close out a two-shot victory at The Open, fellow Tour player Wesley Bryan tweeted a picture of a note that he wrote after the two played together during the third round of the WGC-HSBC Champions in China in October. In it, Bryan shared Molinari's plans to retire as early as 2020 to hang out at cafes and "become a Twitter troll":

    Molinari is active on the social media platform, with more than 5,600 tweets sent out to nearly 150,000 followers since joining in 2010. But after lifting the claret jug at Carnoustie, it appears one of the few downsides of Molinari's victory is that the golf world won't get to see the veteran turn into a caffeinated, well-read troll anytime soon.

    Getty Images

    Molinari had previously avoided Carnoustie on purpose

    By Rex HoggardJuly 22, 2018, 9:17 pm

    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland – Sometimes a course just fits a player’s eye. They can’t really describe why, but more often than not it leads to solid finishes.

    Francesco Molinari’s relationship with Carnoustie isn’t like that.

    The Italian played his first major at Carnoustie, widely considered the toughest of all The Open venues, in 2007, and his first impression hasn’t really changed.

    “There was nothing comforting about it,” he said on Sunday following a final-round 69 that lifted him to a two-stroke victory.


    Full-field scores from the 147th Open Championship

    Full coverage of the 147th Open Championship


    In fact, following that first exposure to the Angus coast brute, Molinari has tried to avoid Carnoustie, largely skipping the Dunhill Links Championship, one of the European Tour’s marquee events, throughout his career.

    “To be completely honest, it's one of the reasons why I didn't play the Dunhill Links in the last few years, because I got beaten up around here a few times in the past,” he said. “I didn't particularly enjoy that feeling. It's a really tough course. You can try and play smart golf, but some shots, you just have to hit it straight. There's no way around it. You can't really hide.”

    Molinari’s relative dislike for the layout makes his performance this week even more impressive considering he played his last 37 holes bogey-free.

    “To play the weekend bogey-free, it's unthinkable, to be honest. So very proud of today,” he said.