Olympian Phelps signs club deal with Ping
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 30, 2013 5:00 AM ET
Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian in history, has agreed to a deal with manufacturer Ping. He will play the new G25 driver, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, then use the new Your Gorge Groove wedges and Scottsdale TR putter.
Phelps, 27, is the subject of this year’s “The Haney Project” on Golf Channel, which premieres Monday, Feb. 25. He will begin playing the custom-fit clubs at this week’s Waste Management Phoenix Open Pro-Am, where he will be paired with Masters champion Bubba Watson.
“I know how difficult the game of golf is, but I’m really serious about getting better and the experts at Ping have already helped me a lot,” Phelps said in a statement.
Because of his 6-foot-4 frame, Phelps’s G25 irons are one inch over standard length, three degrees upright, and with grips that a 1/32-inch over standard size. The clubs are also painted with gold, red, white and blue accents.
Tags: Michael Phelps
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path