Olympian Phelps signs club deal with Ping
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 30, 2013 5:00 AM ET
Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian in history, has agreed to a deal with manufacturer Ping. He will play the new G25 driver, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, then use the new Your Gorge Groove wedges and Scottsdale TR putter.
Phelps, 27, is the subject of this year’s “The Haney Project” on Golf Channel, which premieres Monday, Feb. 25. He will begin playing the custom-fit clubs at this week’s Waste Management Phoenix Open Pro-Am, where he will be paired with Masters champion Bubba Watson.
“I know how difficult the game of golf is, but I’m really serious about getting better and the experts at Ping have already helped me a lot,” Phelps said in a statement.
Because of his 6-foot-4 frame, Phelps’s G25 irons are one inch over standard length, three degrees upright, and with grips that a 1/32-inch over standard size. The clubs are also painted with gold, red, white and blue accents.
Tags: Michael Phelps
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Mickelson to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae