Only two weeks remain until the 18-man, unofficial event in the Bahamas, and the wounds are still fresh from Woods' abrupt withdrawal from last month's Safeway Open. But according to Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, his client remains set to make his first competitive appearance in nearly 16 months.
"(He's) getting after it a bit more, continuing to work toward that goal and excited to get back out there and compete, see the guys and be in the locker room instead of being an assistant captain," Steinberg told ESPN.com.
Woods has not played since the 2015 Wyndham Championship as he recovers from multiple back surgeries. His last public on-course appearance was as a Ryder Cup assistant at Hazeltine, and the following week he formally committed to the season-opening event in Napa only to rescind that commitment three days later, citing a "vulnerable" golf game.
According to the report, Steinberg said Woods' withdrawal was "never about his determination" but also was not tied to any physical issues.
"The determination is still there," Steinberg said. "We've still got two weeks to go, but he is doing the things necessary to get himself as ready as he can be, but it's going to be 15 months since the last time he played competitively."
The Hero World Challenge will be held Dec. 1-4 at Albany Golf Club and will be broadcast live on Golf Channel.