Woods: 'Right on the timeline' to return in December

RSS

WINDERMERE, Fla. – Tiger Woods has yet to swing a club since last month's PGA Championship, but he says he’s “right on the timeline” to return at the Hero World Challenge in early December.

Woods said Monday at his tournament’s media day that he has done “nothing” golf-wise since he missed the cut at the PGA.

“I’ve been busting my butt in the gym,” he said, before adding: “It’s nice to be able to shut it down and get stronger.”

Woods said that he has gotten his strength back to a pre-injury level, and that the next step was to work on his explosiveness. Unlike earlier this year, when his quality of life suffered because of a pinched nerve, Woods said he’s been able to enjoy day-to-day activities such as playing soccer with his kids.

All along, Woods said that he planned to start making golf swings in late September or early October, which gives him two full months to prepare for his 18-man event at Isleworth. He said that he is in “no hurry” to look for a new swing coach, after parting ways with Sean Foley last month.

If he doesn’t experience any setbacks at the event, Woods said he expects to play a “very full” schedule in 2015.