Dustin Johnson's birdie at the 18th hole Saturday gave him a third-round 69 and kept alive a streak; it was DJ's eighth consecutive round in the 60s.
• Johnson's scoring average over his last eight PGA Tour rounds is a sizzling 66.63.
• After winning the BMW Championship two weeks ago, Johnson is trying to convert a 54-hole lead or co-lead for the second consecutive tournament.
• Overall, Johnson is 3-for-7 converting 54-hole leads or co- leads.
• Johnson is seeking his fourth win in his last nine PGA Tour starts. Before this season he had never won more thn twice in a season.
• Since 2008, Johnson has 12 PGA Tour wins, tied with Rory McIlroy for the second-most over that span).
• Johnson came into the Tour Championship first in FedEx Cup points. But the last player to lead the FedEx Cup standings entering the Tour Championship and win the FedEx Cup was Tiger Woods in 2009.
• For Chappell, this is the third 54-hole lead or co-lead of his PGA Tour career (first this season)
• Chappell leads the field with only one bogey hrough 54 holes.
• He also leads the field in strokes gained tee-to-green through three rounds
• Chappell came into the tournament 15th in FedEx Cup points. If he wins, that will be the second-worst position by a Cup winner entering East Lake. Bill Haas came in 25th before he won in 2011.
• Chappell is making his 167th career PGA Tour start. He is winless. The only player to get his first win at the Tour Championship was Chad Campbell, in 2003.
• Rory McIlroy's bogey-free 66 was his first career bogey-free round at East Lake (15 rounds played).
• McIlroy leads the field in back-nine scoring (-10) this week.
Compiled from information provided by Golf Channel senior researcher Justin Ray.