MARANA, Ariz. – Eight matches will comprise the third round of the 2012 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. GolfChannel.com senior writers Randall Mell and Rex Hoggard are on site and offer up predictions on Day 3. Mell takes on the Jones and Hogan brackets. (Click for Hoggard's Snead and Player brackets.)
BOBBY JONES BRACKET
No. 9 Peter Hanson vs. No. 5 Brandt Snedeker
The lowdown: Snedeker, winner of the Farmers Insurance Open last month, dispatched two strong match-play foes in Retief Goosen and Kyle Stanley. Snedeker’s track record coming from behind in his PGA Tour wins shows a dogged determination that serves him well in match play.
No. 10 Mark Wilson vs. No. 3 Dustin Johnson
The lowdown: Wilson outlasted Johnson in this event a year ago, and he has his game in a good place to do it again. Wilson rarely beats himself.
BEN HOGAN BRACKET
No. 1 Martin Kaymer vs. No. 4 Matt Kuchar
The lowdown: Tough, tough match to call. Kaymer has been a buzz saw in this format the last two years, but Kuchar, the former U.S. Amateur champ, is a terrific match-play competitor who, like Kaymer, made it all the way to the semifinals in this event last year.
No. 2 Steve Stricker vs. No. 6 Hunter Mahan
The lowdown: Mahan’s ball striking has been impressive this week, but the short game becomes more vital as this week wears on, and Stricker has a superior short game.
Watch live coverage of the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship on Golf Channel, Friday 2-6PM ET; Saturday noon-2PM ET; Sunday 8AM-1PM ET. NBC coverage can be seen live Saturday/Sunday, 2-6PM ET.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path