Dufner out of next week's FedEx Playoff Cup opener
- By Rex Hoggard
- Aug 17, 2012 3:07 PM ET
Jason Dufner will not play next week’s FedEx Cup playoff opener at Bethpage State Park, his management team confirmed on Friday.
Dufner, who at No. 3 on the FedEx Cup points list can overtake No. 1 Tiger Woods with a victory or a second-place finish this week at the Wyndham Championship, figures his best chance to win the playoffs, and play well at September’s Ryder Cup, is to skip next week’s Barclays and rest, according to his manager with IMG.
Dufner, who has not missed a cut since his season opener at the Sony Open, is playing his third consecutive event this week at Sedgefield Country Club and is currently tied for 17th after a second-round 67.
Despite the most creative math this side of MIT, the PGA Tour number crunchers have not discovered a solution for what many consider the biggest hole in the FedEx Cup resume. Read More
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots