FedEx Cup helps prep players for Cup matches
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 31, 2012 10:50 AM ET
The FedEx Cup playoffs have played a positive role relating to Americans’ preparations in the Ryder and Presidents Cups, according to Phil Mickelson.
"[The FedEx Cup playoffs have] really helped the U.S. players be sharp mentally and have our game sharp," Mickelson said Monday at the media day for The Barclays, the first of the four FedEx Cup playoff events. "The FedEx Cup has forced us to really prepare and practice for the four events following the PGA Championship; where often times in the past, we have taken a bit of a break."
Mickelson said the results speak for themselves.
"If you look back at the U.S. record since the FedEx Cup has been in existence, our record in the team competitions from Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup has been extremely good with the only loss being the Ryder Cup two years ago," he said.
The Americans have won all but one Presidents Cup match since its creation in 1994, including three since the first year of the FedEx Cup in 2007. This fall will mark the third Ryder Cup after the playoffs. The U.S. won in 2008 at Valhalla while they lost a 14.5-13.5 decision at Celtic Manor two years ago.
What's more, The Barlcays will likely help shape the four picks captain Davis Love III will make to round out the Medinah-bound squad. Mickelson is currently seventh in the points standings, with the top eight after next week’s PGA Championship qualifying for the team.
"The Barclays is critical," Mickelson said, "because it's one of the last two events that captain Davis Love will have a chance to assess his players and decide who is going to be on the team."
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth