McIlroy forms foundation to help children's charities
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 10, 2013 9:00 AM ET
Rory McIlroy on Thursday announced the formation of The Rory Foundation, designed to help raise money for children’s charities.
McIlroy’s first fundraiser is called “The 6 Bags Project.” At each of his first six tournaments, a different children’s charity will adorn the side of his golf bag. After the tournament, the bag will be auctioned at www.roryfoundation.com, with the proceeds going directly to the charity on the bag.
“When I was younger, my parents sacrificed everything to allow me to play the game I love,” McIlroy said in a release. “Having that support from my family gave me the opportunity to chase my dreams. But I know that every child is not so fortunate. My aim is that The Rory Foundation will support children’s charities big and small, around the world, that try to give kids that helping hand.”
Those tournaments, with the accompanying charity:
HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship (Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children), WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship (Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson), Honda Classic (Child Protection Team of the Palm Beaches), WGC-Cadillac Championship (First Tee Miami-Dade Amateur Golf Association), Shell Houston Open (Chinquapin School), the Masters (TBA).
Tags: Rory McIlroy
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- LPGA SCORING: C. Choi up by 1; Lewis 4 back
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process