McIlroy, Lewis, Chapman named GWAA POYs
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 19, 2012 8:36 AM ET
They will be honored during the GWAA’s 41st Annual Awards dinner on April 10, 2013, in Augusta, Ga. It is the first GWAA Player of the Year award for each player.
McIlroy, who won five times worldwide in 2012 and also claimed Player of the Year awards on both the PGA and Europoean tours, earned 190 of 194 first-place votes, as he was joined on the ballot by Brandt Snedeker (three votes) and Tiger Woods (one).
Lewis, who became the first American since 1994 to win the Rolex Player of the Year award, received 78.8 percent of the vote (153 votes), while Na Yeon Choi (31 votes) and Inbee Park (10) also received consideration.
In the senior balloting, Chapman, a two-time major winner in 2012, received 60 percent of the vote (116 votes), compared to just 22.6 percent for Tom Lehman (44) and 17 percent for Bernhard Langer (33).
Graeme McDowell and Lee Westwood both weighed in on Rory McIlroy's decision to leave Horizon Sports Management. Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch LPGA come down to finish
- SCORING: Bae wins in Texas | LPGA Mobile Bay
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play