One of the most prevalent thoughts regarding McIlroy’s poor performance surrounded his girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki, with rumors swirling that the two no longer are together.
Just a day before McIlroy’s WD at PGA National, Wozniacki lost in the Malaysian Open to a player ranked No. 186 in the world.
“I’ve read what’s been written,” McIlroy said at Doral. “Just because I have a bad day on the golf course and Caroline loses a match in Malaysia, it doesn’t mean that we’re breaking up.
“Everything on that front is great and I’m looking forward to seeing her next week when she gets to Miami.”
The other oddity surrounds an #FTB hashtag that McIlroy has used twice in tweets sent from his Twitter account the last two days. The first was posted Tuesday and said, “For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. #FTB.”
Many of McIlroy’s Twitter followers wondered what that acronym stood for, until Irish singer Ronan Keating responded to McIlroy saying he loved the hashtag. It’s been reported that Keating has a tattoo on his left wrist that says “(expletive) the begrudgers.”
“It’s a little private joke between friends,” he said, “and something I probably can’t divulge on live TV.”
Rory McIlroy left the door open to add an event or two before the Masters. Read More
Here are the best comments from Rory McIlroy’s news conference Wednesday at the WGC-Cadillac Championship, a forthright, 24-minute sit down. Read More
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play