McIlroy, Woods set for match-play duel in China
- By Ryan Lavner
- Aug 15, 2012 8:49 AM ET
McIlroy and Woods, Nos. 1 and 3 in the world ranking, respectively, are set to play in a one-day Duel at Jinsha Lake exhibition in China on Oct. 29, McIlroy confirmed Wednesday on “Morning Drive.” The event was announced by organizers on Wednesday.
The Duel will be held in Zhengzhou, the capital of the central province of Henan.
“It should be a lot of fun,” McIlroy said on “Morning Drive.” “It’s the first time I’ve ever done something like this with Tiger.”
Not surprisingly, the timing of the event worked out with each of their schedules. The Duel will be held the Monday after both the CIMB Classic in Malaysia (an event Woods already has committed to play) and the BMW Masters in Shanghai (where McIlroy is scheduled to appear).
It was reported Tuesday on GTC that Woods and McIlroy will be grouped together in next week’s FedEx Cup playoff event, the Barclays. But never have two of the most famous golfers in the world faced off in a match-play event.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae