Snedeker going for rare Pebble-Augusta double
- By Jason Sobel
- Feb 11, 2013 9:36 PM ET
It’s been 36 years since a player won at Pebble Beach and Augusta National in the same year. Tom Watson was victorious on both venerable venues back in 1977.
That fact is noteworthy on the heels of Brandt Snedeker’s victory at Pebble Beach on Sunday. Thanks to a season which has already seen him start with four top-three finishes in his first five events, the world’s No. 4-ranked player is shooting up the list of most oddsmakers’ favorites for this year’s Masters.
In five career starts at Augusta, Snedeker has made the cut four times, including a T-3 in 2008, when he entered the final round in second place but posted a 77 on Sunday.
Tiger Woods has two wins at Pebble Beach and four at Augusta, but he never won at both courses in the same year. He won twice at Pebble Beach in 2000, including his record 15-stroke U.S. Open triumph, and won the 2001 Masters. Among Phil Mickelson's three wins at Augusta and four at Pebble Beach were Masters titles in 2004 and 2006 at AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am wins in 2005 and 2007. Mark O'Meara won at Pebble Beach in 1997 and at Augusta the following year.
If there’s any consolation for Snedeker – and his supporters – regarding breaking the streak, it’s that his game has often been compared with that of Watson, who just happened to be his favorite player when he was growing up.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Rd. 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA Champ. win
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots