Woods gives Stevie blessing to caddie for Scott
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jun 11, 2011 3:38 PM ET
When Steve Williams was spotted at Congressional CC on Saturday on the bag of Adam Scott, a lot of questions naturally surfaced about the nature of the gig. Did it mark a break-up of Woods and Williams, or was it just a one-time deal?
According to Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg, Tiger gave Williams the all-clear on caddying for the Aussie at next week’s U.S. Open.
Speaking by phone, Steinberg said, “Steve and Adam are friends, so they have a relationship. Adam had the bag open for the week and Tiger gave Steve the okay to do it.”
Steinberg said Williams is just as competitive and driven as his regular boss, ”Stevie is just like any other athlete. He didn’t want to miss a major.”
Woods and Williams have been working together since 1999 and have combined to win 13 of Woods’ 14 major championships.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path