Dufner earned his second career PGA TOUR win and his second win in less than a month in the HP Byron Nelson Championship. When asked about a conversation he had with Jason Sobel where he said that it was very hard to win on the PGA TOUR, Dufner said that although he current play does not support that point, it is still very true. He has been very fortunate to play some great golf and earn a couple of great wins. The fact is, if you win 2% of your career starts you are going to have a great career.
He feels that he has learned how to better manage the pressure when he is in or near the lead on the weekend by playing in those late groups so often. In the past, he feels that he has tried to be too aggressive when he gets nervous and he is learning that the best thing to do under pressure is to try to relax and not be too aggressive.
As an Auburn man, he was asked if he felt any particular joy in beating an Alabama man by one shot. Dufner said that he did not take Pride’s collegiate ties into account in part because Pride has been a great friend to him for many years dating back to the Nationwide Tour. Also, Dufner was just happy to be able to win without having to go into another playoff.
He recently returned to Twitter after a lengthy break because he felt that it was taking up too much of his free time in the past. In many cases, he would finish a round and then spend two hours answering fans’ tweets and he had no time to relax for the next day. By returning to Twitter, he is hoping to be able to find a balance between talking to fans to getting the rest and the time to himself that he needs.
With his win, he has moved to 3rd in the U.S. Ryder Cup standings and Dufner said that one of his main goals was to earn a place on Davis Love III’s team. He was able to get off to a great start back in 2011 with his runner-up finish in the PGA Championship and it would be one of the biggest accomplishments of his career to earn a place on that team and he looks forward to hopefully being able to contribute to an American victory at Medinah.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play