Dubsdread Orlando golfer goes low: 59 at Dubsdread during tournament
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Mar 22, 2013 11:03 AM ET
Golfers are going low in Orlando this week even outside of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill. Earlier this week, 33-year-old local golfer Jesse Smith shot a 59 during the first round of the Fore The Players Tour at par-70 Dubsdread Golf Course.
After shooting a 30 on the front nine, Smith birdied six holes on the back, including holes No. 12-thru-15. His birdie on the par-4 17th put him at 11-under par for the day.
Oddly enough, Smith failed to birdie either of Dubsdread's reachable par 5s, including the 515-yard 18th hole.
Smith's luck would run out quickly on Day 2, the final round of the event. His driver cracked on his opening tee shot. Playing without it the rest of the way, he shot a 74 in the second and final round to lose to Andy Pope by one shot. Pope took home an $1,100 payday while Smith earned $600 -- plus bragging rights for life.
We've dug into GolfNow.com's golfer ratings to uncover the best golf courses around central Florida as rated by the players who pay to play them. Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- SCORING: Bahamas LPGA | Senior PGA Champ.
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots