×
Golf Channel Mobile
Golf Channel
Free
install

GFC Search

 

Trump confirms purchase of Turnberry Resort

RSS

Donald Trump confirmed Tuesday that he has purchased Turnberry Resort, one of the nine courses currently in the Open Championship rotation.

“It was an opportunity, as far as I was concerned,” Trump told Golf.com. “Turnberry is considered one of the greatest courses in the world. It’s a special place. It’s an important place.”

The course was previously owned by a subsidiary of the Dubai government, which purchased the course for 52 million pounds (approximately $87.5 million) in 2008. While the sale price has not been disclosed, a Telegraph report earlier this week indicated Trump was in line to acquire the links resort for 35 million pounds (approximately $59 million).

Located in Ayrshire along the Scottish coast, Turnberry has hosted the Open Championship four times, most recently in 2009 when 59-year-old Tom Watson lost in a playoff to Stewart Cink. It first hosted the season’s third major in 1977, when Watson beat Jack Nicklaus in what became known as the “Duel in the Sun.”

The Open will return to Royal Liverpool in England this summer, and the only confirmed future venues are St. Andrews (2015) and Royal Troon (2016). It appears only to be a matter of time, though, before The Donald hosts the oldest major championship in men's golf.

While he oversaw a significant renovation to one of his most recent golf resort acquisitions - Trump National Doral in Miami - the real estate mogul indicated that any changes to Turnberry would come in consultation with the R&A.

"I’m not going to touch a thing unless the Royal and Ancient ask for it or approve it," Trump said. "I have the greatest respect for the R&A and for (chief executive) Peter Dawson. I won’t do anything to the golf course at all without their full stamp of approval.”