Couples, Price named 2013 Presidents Cup captains
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 29, 2012 4:54 PM ET
DUBLIN, Ohio - On Tuesday, at the site of the 2013 Presidents Cup, the two captains set to lead the American and International teams into competition at Muirfield Village were officially introduced.
Fred Couples will lead the American team for a third time, seeking a third consecutive win as captain.
"Just to be here, I did win this tournament at Jack's place at Memorial, and without being on the team as a player, there's nothing better than to be a captain," Couples said Tuesday.
Couples, the 1998 Memorial winner and in the field this week, and the American dozen will face off against an International team led by three-time major winner Nick Price.
"This has been a moment that I've been waiting to have for an awful long time," Price said. "Obviously it's a great honor for me to be selected as the captain, but more importantly, it's probably the most excited I've been about anything in the last five or six years."
Price was a member of the 1998 International team - the lone time they have won the matches since their inception in 1994.
"If I could recreate that feeling again for the guys who play at any time," he said, "it would just be very special because you never forget those moments."
The Zimbabwe native will be the last captain appointed by the PGA Tour, as commissioner Tim Finchem said a selection process will be formalized to hand off the decision to the professional tours which are represented by the International team.
Muirfield Village will become the first venue to host the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and Solheim Cup.
According to a source, the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia is making a push to be the 2017 host, becoming the second venue to hold the distinction. Sandwiched in between, the '15 matches will be held at a location to be determined in Korea.
The 2013 Presidents Cup will be contested Oct. 2-6.
From the Sergio Garcia-Tiger Woods drama at The Players to the induction of Fred Couples and Colin Montgomerie into the World Golf Hall of Fame, enjoy this week's edition of Quotes of the Week. Read More
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth