Johnson, Stricker climb U.S. Ryder Cup ladder
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 16, 2012 12:32 PM ET
Following the PGA Championship on Aug. 12, eight players will automatically qualify for the U.S team, captained by Davis Love III. After the John Deere Classic, here are the top eight in the standings (with points earned and last week's position in the top eight in parentheses):
1. Bubba Watson (5,326.40; 1)
2. Jason Dufner (5,289.25; 2)
3. Tiger Woods (4,669.41; 3)
4. Webb Simpson (4,635.50; 4)
5. Zach Johnson (4,153.86; 8)
6. Phil Mickelson (4,107.11; 5)
7. Matt Kuchar (4,043.43; 6)
8. Hunter Mahan (3,864.37; 7)
The top eight are unchanged this week.
Love also has four wild-card selections he will make in September. Here are some current notables:
9. Keegan Bradley: Still ninth, but a T-46 at The Greenbrier Classic leaves him likely looking on the outside.
10. Rickie Fowler: Since going 1-T2-T5 to start May, Fowler hasn't cracked the top 40 in two starts.
11. Steve Stricker: Though he didn't win the Deere for a fourth straight year, Stricker did gain two spots on the ladder.
12. Dustin Johnson: If Johnson could make an Open run as he did a year ago, he might lock up a spot.
14. Jim Furyk: Likely to be a captain's pick, Furyk can go a long way in not having to worry with a solid British Open.
Despite being known as one of the best athletes on Tour, Dustin Johnson has been forced to withdraw from a PGA Tour event because of an injury for the third consecutive week. Read More
Dustin Johnson and Zach Johnson have withdrawn from this week's European Tour event in South Korea because of 'perceived unrest.' Read More
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process