Stacy Lewis didn’t take long to climb atop another LPGA leaderboard.
Lewis, the tour’s player of the year last season, opened the Honda LPGA Thailand with a 9-under-par 63 Thursday in the first round at Siam Country Club to take a three-shot lead on Karine Icher and a four-shot lead on Inbee Park, Catriona Matthew, Gerina Piller and Amy Yang.
Lewis tied for 15th in the LPGA season opener in Australia last week. She won four times on tour last year. At the third hole Thursday, she found a spark to her low round. She holed an 8-iron from 145 yards.
“That shot just really gave me the confidence to really start swinging at it,” Lewis said. “I think I missed two greens all day. I just had a ton of birdie putts, and I even left a few out there.”
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth