Stacy Lewis didn’t take long to climb atop another LPGA leaderboard.
Lewis, the tour’s player of the year last season, opened the Honda LPGA Thailand with a 9-under-par 63 Thursday in the first round at Siam Country Club to take a three-shot lead on Karine Icher and a four-shot lead on Inbee Park, Catriona Matthew, Gerina Piller and Amy Yang.
Lewis tied for 15th in the LPGA season opener in Australia last week. She won four times on tour last year. At the third hole Thursday, she found a spark to her low round. She holed an 8-iron from 145 yards.
“That shot just really gave me the confidence to really start swinging at it,” Lewis said. “I think I missed two greens all day. I just had a ton of birdie putts, and I even left a few out there.”
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots