Like Nelson, O'Meara miffed at not being Ryder Cup captain
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Oct 11, 2012 8:53 AM ET
Larry Nelson isn’t the only former PGA Tour player miffed at not serving as U.S. Ryder Cup captain.
Mark O’Meara, appearing on “Morning Drive” Thursday, expressed his displeasure in being looked over by the PGA of America.
“I feel a little disappointed, yeah. Kind of hoped that I’d get the job in Ireland,” O’Meara said, referring to the 2006 Ryder Cup held at the K Club in Kildare, Ireland. Tom Lehman led the U.S. squad to an 18 ½ to 9 ½ defeat.
“I certainly wouldn’t have been disappointed if I had gotten passed over for Larry Nelson,” added O’Meara, who played on five U.S. Ryder Cup teams, going 4-9-1
Nelson, a three-time major champion with a career 9-3-1 Ryder Cup record, has been repeatedly bypassed for captaincy. Two weeks ago on “Morning Drive,” Nelson said that he stepped aside to allow Lanny Wadkins the leadership role in 1995 at Oak Hill, believing he would get the nod in 1997 at Valhalla. That position went to Tom Kite.
Last week, while competing in the Champions Tour’s SAS Championship, Nelson said he received a great deal of support from fellow competitors and fans.
“The number of comments, number of text messages, number of emails has really been amazing,” Nelson said Thursday on “Morning Drive.” “I don’t know if a lot of people sympathize with what’s happening or not, but it’s something that’s been very heartwarming to see the response over the past several days. Whether it happens or doesn’t happen, I’m flattered by the response.”
When asked if he would accept the role as U.S. captain should it ever be offered, Nelson was unwavering.
“Oh yeah, I would take it,” he said. “I’m at the point now in my life where I have a little bit more time to devote to this. A lot of things have changed since I was a part of the competition, but I think it’s just a learning curve and what needs to be done.
“As far as being competitive, that never changes, and it won’t until they put me in the grave.”
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process