ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. – Davis Love III and a foursome of American Ryder Cup players spent time last week at Medinah, site of this year’s matches, and the captain made at least one command decision during his trip to Chicago.
“I told them to cut the rough,” Love smiled on Monday at Sea Island Resort. “Our guys are long hitters, kind of free-wheeling players, so I didn’t want there to be rough that you had to just chip out of.”
As for who Love may pair together for next week’s matches, however, he’s still working on that. Although he did joke after playing a practice round with his son, Dru, and Steve Stricker on Sunday in Chicago, “Watching Dru and Steve putt, I could put them together.”
U.S. Ryder Cup players Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner and Brandt Snedeker also took advantage of the “off” week for a scouting trip to Medinah, and Love admitted that he’s close to finalizing his pairings, but it wasn’t easy.
“You could put all the names in a hat and draw them out, and you’ll end up with good pairings,” Love said.
Love plans to have a team dinner on Saturday night in Atlanta and said players will have an idea of who they are may be paired with before they head to Chicago.
On Wednesday at Sea Island Resort Davis Love III hypothetically referred to David Toms as the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain and a reporter playfully pressed him, “Did you just confirm David Toms is the ... Read More
Sunday night at last month’s Ryder Cup was already going to be difficult for the American team, which lost the largest lead on home soil in match history, and having the two squads mix in a post-game ... Read More
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No three-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots