Olazabal arrested for driving 97 in Georgia
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Apr 10, 2012 9:52 AM ET
Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal was detained briefly on Monday in Georgia for excessive speeding.
The Effingham County sheriff's department pulled over Olazabal for going 97 mph in a 65-mph zone.
According to a spokesman with the sheriff's department, Olazabal was taken to jail and booked just before noon Monday. He spent over an hour there before posting $621 – the value of the speeding ticket – for his release.
Per county policy, Olazabal was detained because persons from a foreign country must post a cash bond for their release. Olazabal can return for a court date if he chooses, but will be presumed guilty if he opts not to appear.
Effingham County is southeast of Augusta, en route to Hilton Head Island. Olazabal is scheduled to compete in this week's RBC Heritage. The two-time Masters champion shot 75-76 at Augusta National and missed the cut.
Tags: José Maria Olazabal
Ross Fisher and Stephen Gallacher stormed out to an early lead at the Portugal Masters. Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Inaugural Bahamas LPGA event deluged by rain
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on anchor ban: 'Not going to roll over'
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air