Poulter: Match Play should can consolation match
- By Ryan Lavner
- Feb 25, 2013 11:50 AM ET
Trotted back out an hour later to play Jason Day, Poulter squandered an early lead and lost, 1 up, to take fourth place, dropping his overall record in the event to 19-5-2. Day earned $615,000, while Poulter took home $500,000 and cracked the top 10 in the world ranking.
Then, on Monday morning, the Englishman voiced his displeasure with the playing of the consolation match.
I will be honest that 3-4 place match is the least interesting Match of the week. No need to play it. Players should be tied for 3rd.— Ian Poulter (@IanJamesPoulter) February 25, 2013
Ask any players that's played for 3 or 4 spot. Once you can't win it the tournament is over. Or they're lying. Anticlimax. Sorry but true.— Ian Poulter (@IanJamesPoulter) February 25, 2013
I'd rather do a clinic for an hour and explain the mindset of Matchplay than play that match. That would be interesting for The fans.— Ian Poulter (@IanJamesPoulter) February 25, 2013
The facts are this and you need to understand nobody cares who finishes 2nd it's all about winning. Ask a winner that will be there mindset.— Ian Poulter (@IanJamesPoulter) February 25, 2013
I bet Jason Day doesn't play Honda this week now because he feels exhausted. 18 holes less and Honda might have had him in the field. #Fact— Ian Poulter (@IanJamesPoulter) February 25, 2013
For the record, as of this writing, Day has not withdrawn from The Honda Classic, which begins Thursday in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Match Play winner Matt Kuchar, runner-up Mahan and Poulter are not in the field for the first leg of the Florida Swing.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play