Despite numerous reports that he is expected to sign a 10-year deal with Nike worth upwards of $250 million, Rory McIlroy declined to discuss any potential equipment news Wednesday but added “you’ll probably hear more about it in the next few weeks.”
“I am a Titleist player until the end of the year, and I’ve made no commitment to any company for next year,” McIlroy said during a pre-tournament news conference at the European Tour’s Barclays Singapore Open.
“I have a process that we are working through, and you’ll probably hear more about it in the next few weeks.”
FoxSports.com, citing an anonymous source, reported last week that McIlroy has signed a 10-year deal that could net him at least $200 million, making him Nike’s highest-paid golfer, ahead of Woods.
Also mentioned in the report was that McIlroy had already filmed a TV commercial, in which he and Woods take turns hitting Nike’s new red driver – debuted earlier this week – and marvel at how long they’re hitting the ball.
The potential move already has elicited plenty of reaction. Two weeks ago, six-time major winner Nick Faldo described the decision as “dangerous.”
Speaking to ESPNStar.com last week, 2010 European Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie disagreed: “It is dangerous, it is risky, but I don’t think for him. He’s very natural and he can use whatever. The shaft that he’s using will be the same, which is very key these days. He’ll adapt fairly well, as long as the shaft remains the same.
“I think he’ll be as successful as he is with the new equipment as he was with the old.”
Tags: Rory McIlroy
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots