Woods officially commits to Abu Dhabi, Torrey Pines
- By Will Gray
- Jan 9, 2013 5:03 PM ET
Tiger Woods is officially a week away from beginning his 2013 season.
As had been expected, Woods officially committed Wednesday to play in next week's Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, according to his Web site. It marks the second consecutive year that Woods will begin his season at Abu Dhabi Golf Club, where he tied for third last year after entering the final round sharing the lead with eventual winner Robert Rock.
Woods also announced that he will make his first PGA Tour start of the season a week later at Torrey Pines, Jan. 24-27, for the Farmers Insurance Open.
"I'm excited to compete again," he said in a released statement. "I had a good break and went to see Stanford beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully my good practice sessions will carry over."
Woods has long had an affinity for Torrey Pines, where he has won seven times in his career. Six of those titles came in the Farmers event, with the seventh being the 2008 U.S. Open, which he won in a playoff over Rocco Mediate for his 14th - and most recent - major title.
"Obviously, I've had good success at Torrey Pines," he noted. "I practically grew up playing the South and North Courses. The fans have always been supportive, and I look forward to returning."
Last year marked the first time in Woods' pro career that he missed the Farmers event while healthy, opting instead to play the same week in Abu Dhabi. He finished T-44 in 2011, his most recent appearance at Torrey Pines.
Tags: Tiger Woods
In a recent episode of "Feherty," Rocco Mediate detailed a request he made of Tiger Woods for an autograph that went largely unfulfilled. Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth