The 66th United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will join Emmy-nominated television personality David Feherty on the next episode of Feherty presented by Farmers Insurance® , premiering Monday, March 27 at 9 p.m. ET on Golf Channel.
Filmed at Stanford University’s golf team practice facility – where the Secretary continues to teach classes on campus – the interview touches on a vast number of subjects, which afterward left Feherty unsurprisingly categorizing Rice as one of the most intellectual and fascinating guests he’s ever welcomed on the series. Topics discussed include:
- Encouragement received from her parents, and their belief that Rice would need to be “twice as good” to overcome obstacles of growing up in segregation in Birmingham, Alabama, and utilizing the importance of education as an “armor” against prejudice.
- Her hopes for the direction of the Trump administration, and thoughts on the evolution of the Russian government.
- An epiphany at age 19 that she wouldn’t cut it as a concert pianist, and her strong belief in the importance of the arts as an integral part of education.
- The influence of Brent Scowcroft – former national security advisor under Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush – in helping Rice land the role of White House Soviet specialist that would give her a front-row seat to the end of the Cold War.
- Not taking up golf until shortly after being named Secretary at age 50, and quickly developing a passion for the game.
- Her connection to Tiger Woods, serving as Stanford’s provost while Woods enrolled there in 1994, and how she earned “The Closer” nickname on campus.
- Recalling her three-year tenure on the College Football Playoff Committee, and her sense that “it’s working” in helping decide a true national champion.
Upcoming guests on Feherty this season include Golden Globe and Academy Award-winning actor, Matthew McConaughey (Monday, April 24) and All-Star point guard for the Golden State Warriors, Stephen Curry. Scheduled airdates for upcoming Feherty episodes – premiering Monday nights at 9 p.m. ET – include:
Monday, March 27 Condoleezza Rice
Monday, April 17 Mark O’Meara
Monday, April 24 Matthew McConaughey
Monday, May 1 Nancy Lopez
Monday, May 8 Hale Irwin
Season 7 Premiere of Feherty Earns Record Viewership
Feherty saw record viewership for the season 7 two-part premiere with golf icon Phil Mickelson earlier this month. Part I (Monday, March 6) became the most-watched Golf Channel original production ever on a Live+3 basis (.41 rating, 640k avg. viewers). The following week, Part II (Monday, March 13) became the most-watched Feherty premiere episode ever (.27 rating, 442k avg. viewers), earning a spot in the top-5 for sports programming for two consecutive Mondays.
Described as “golf’s iconoclast,” by Rolling Stone, and “the last unscripted man on TV,” by Men’s Journal, Feherty is coming off a banner year in 2016. Highlights include: sitting down with nowfour U.S. Presidents: Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump; serving as an NBC Olympic correspondent in Rio; appearing on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon; being profiled on the Emmy award-winning HBO original series, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel; and playing a key role in NBC Sports’ unprecedented 12-week stretch of premier golf events beginning with The Open and concluding with the Ryder Cup.