Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

LIV Golf officially cancels Michigan event, Indianapolis concerts

LIV Golf has officially scrapped its team championship amid another cancellation.

The league announced Monday that the Aramco LIV Golf Michigan, scheduled for Aug. 27-30 at The Cardinal at Saint John’s in Plymouth, Michigan, will not take place. The news confirmed what had been reported for weeks, that infrastructure buildout hadn’t started and the event would become the second casualty on LIV’s schedule since the PIF announced earlier this year that it would cease funding LIV at season’s end.

LIV also canceled live musical performances by Thomas Rhett and Disco Lines set for this week’s LIV Golf Indianapolis “due to unavoidable changes in the entertainment program.”

“LIV Golf recognizes the disappointment these changes may bring for fans, local stakeholders, Thomas Rhett and Disco Lines, and appreciates the significant time and effort invested by the artists and their teams,” the league said in a press release. “Ticket holders for the Michigan event will receive refunds. While LIV Golf Indianapolis will still offer four incredible days of competition.”

LIV Golf Indianapolis, now the de-facto season finale, begins Thursday at The Club at Chatham Hills. While Jon Rahm has clinched the season-long individual title already, the other two spots in the top three are still up for grabs.

As for the team competition, LIV will count scores of all four players on each team every day, though it’s unclear whether the team champion will be determined via the season-long points standings or just by this week’s performance. Previously, the team championship would feature a match-play component.

LIV announced nearly two weeks ago that it had reached an agreement with a “prospective lead investor,” which had signed a term sheet to “anchor the transaction and play a key role in supporting the path forward for the league’s next era, driven by and for the players,” according to CEO Scott O’Neil, who added that he expected the deal with the unnamed investor to be announced in September.

Since then, Bloomberg has reported that BC Partners, a London-based private equity firm, is considering a loan to LIV.

O’Neil also announced that LIV 2.0 would include fewer events in 2027, down to 10, among other changes.

“As the 2026 LIV Golf season comes to a close after incredible competition across 10 countries and five continents, we reflect on record crowds, broadcast viewership, marketing partner support and social growth, alongside historic comebacks, emerging young talent, OWGR recognition and new pathways to the majors,” O’Neil said Monday in a statement. “By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands. We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new League owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners. Professional golf is more unified today than at any point since we launched, creating a genuine opportunity to grow the game together.

“Indianapolis will be a fitting finale for the League as fans have known it and the starting point for what we believe it can become.”