Bae back home, unsure when military service begins

RSS

Upon arriving home in South Korea, Sangmoon Bae said Wednesday that he will meet later this week with authorities and is still unsure when he must begin his mandatory military service.

“I will go through appropriate steps before joining the military, and I will make sure everything goes smoothly,” he said, according to the Yonhap News Agency. “But I don’t know what my precise schedule will be like ahead of the Presidents Cup, and so I can’t really tell you at this point what will happen. It’s not as though I can just pick a date I want and enter the armed forces.”

Bae tied for 18th at last week’s Tour Championship. When International captain Nick Price selected Bae as one of his two captain’s picks, he expressed little concern about the South Korean's availability for the four-day matches but added that he had a contingency plan.

Bae won the season-opening Frys.com Open but posted only one top-30 in a full-field event since March as he lost a court battle to defer his mandatory service.     

“There were times when I was suffering so much and couldn’t stay focused,” he said. “Things didn’t always go the way I wanted.”

Bae, 29, will be able to resume his PGA Tour career after his 21 months of service.