Freddie Jacobson has not been seen inside the ropes in over three months, and now we know why.
Jacobson made 10 cuts in 14 starts this season, highlighted by a T-7 finish at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, but the Swede hasn't played since missing the cut at the Crowne Plaza Invitational in May. According to the report, his son was diagnosed with an "anomalous origin of the right coronary artery" earlier this year, and doctors advised open-heart surgery to correct it. Max underwent successful surgery on Aug. 3, and he is expected to have a full recovery.
Jacobson, whose lone win came at the 2011 Travelers Championship, has played full-time on the PGA Tour since 2004. He finished the season at No. 167 in the FedEx Cup race, but he will begin next season with a medical extension under the "family crisis" provision that will give him a chance to keep his card.
"The Tour has been very supportive," Jacobson said. "When something like this happens, the Tour becomes a big family and it's been phenomenal to see."
While the 40-year-old plans to return at the season-opening Frys.com Open next month, he admits that the ordeal has put his golf game on the back burner.
"I saw my coach for the first time last week, and we'll see where the golf swing is," he said. "But I know it's going to be really tough to leave home this time."