AKRON, Ohio – Following his withdrawal from the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday afternoon, Tiger Woods returned to South Florida to receive further evaluation on his injured back.
“Will be evaluated and decision on PGA will be made when ready,” agent Mark Steinberg told Golf Channel reporter Todd Lewis in an email. “Not putting a timetable on making the decision.”
The year’s fourth major championship begins Thursday at Valhalla Golf Club, site of a Woods victory in 2000.
Since undergoing microdiscectomy surgery on March 31, Woods has returned to play three events, culminated in his withdrawal during Sunday’s final round after hitting his tee shot on the ninth hole.
“It happened on the second hole,” he said before leaving the course. “When I hit my second shot, I fell back into the bunker. I just jarred it, and it's been spasming ever since. … It's just the whole lower back. I don't know what happened.”
Woods previously missed this year’s Masters Tournament and U.S. Open before returning to finish in 69th place at The Open Championship.
Injuries have kept him from competing in six of the last 25 majors, dating back to his last major title at the 2008 U.S. Open.