Weekly Fix: Focus on a steady head, centered turn
- By Tim Cooke, SwingFix Instructor
- Feb 26, 2013 12:00 PM ET
Hi, I’m Tim Cooke, and welcome back to Weekly Fix, where we’ll be analyzing your swings every week here on GolfChannel.com with the goal of helping you play better golf in 2013.
This week, I feel especially privileged to work with Joe and to try to help him with his golf swing.
Unfortunately, in the course of his military service, Joe lost his left arm during a scud missile attack in Desert Storm. But he loves the game and is wants to achieve his goal of breaking 90, and hopefully we can help him get there.
I think it’s a very attainable goal, because as you’ll see in the analysis this week, Joe, whose career-best round is 91, does a lot of great things in his golf swing.
In summary, as it relates to this week’s analysis, the tips I would suggest that everyone can learn from would include the following:
• Not everyday on the golf course is going to be a good one, but if you can develop a swing that has good rhythm and tempo you’ll be better able to manage your game on days when things are just a bit off.
• Being able to move your body effectively in the golf swing is crucial, but in order to do that setting up to the ball with good posture is imperative but unfortunately overlooked all too often.
• We all want to hit the ball solidly and consistently and two great swing thoughts to help us achieve that goal are maintaining a steady head and making a centered turn.
I hope you all enjoyed this week’s edition of Weekly Fix. We’re going to check back in with Joe in a few weeks to see how his game is progressing, but in the meantime keep sending us those videos at WeeklyFix@GolfChannel.com, and we’ll be back with a new edition next week right here at GolfChannel.com.
Tim Cooke is the Director of Instruction at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C., and one of Golf Digest's top young instructors.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path