Anticipation building for Mallon, U.S. Solheim Cup team
- By Randall Mell
- Feb 8, 2013 2:01 PM ET
U.S. Solheim Cup captain Meg Mallon could feel the anticipation build when the calendar turned to 2013.
She will feel it move up another notch when the new LPGA season begins next week at the ISPS Handa Women’s Australian Open. The race to make the American team for the Aug. 16-18 matches at Colorado Golf Club heats up with increased qualifying points this year.
“This is really when things start happening,” Mallon said in a telephone interview from Denver, where she is on a Solheim Cup promotional blitz. “It’s fun to get this thing going and see how everyone’s going to perform this year.”
Mallon says she has already picked out the team uniforms with the help of Antigua, the clothing company. Asked if she could reveal any themes or personal touch added to the uniforms, Mallon said: “Well, there will be a lot of red, white and blue.” Obviously, this captain’s playing it “close to the vest.”
Mallon plans to meet with prospective American players at the RR Donnelly Founders Cup in Phoenix March 14-17 in the first domestic LPGA event of the year. The top 25 or so players will be fitted for uniforms there.
“That usually gets everyone’s juices going,” Mallon said.
Mallon named Dottie Pepper as her assistant captain last summer. Mallon says she’ll probably name a second assistant at the RR Donnelley Founders Cup. How, by the way, is Pepper doing in her new duties?
“Dottie’s 100 percent into it,” Mallon said. “We’re having a ball together. It’s been a good partnership, and I imagine it will continue to be.”
Mallon, Pepper and LPGA commissioner Mike Whan were introduced during the second quarter of the Denver Nuggets game Thursday night with Whan hoisting the Solheim Cup. They’re featured guests today at the Denver Golf Expo.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path