GFC Search

 

Dyson moving on after alleged cheating scandal

RSS

Simon Dyson says that his fellow competitors are treating him no differently in the wake of his alleged cheating scandal and that he’s looking forward to moving past the incident.

Dyson is competing this week at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship, his first start since he was placed on probation for tapping down a spike mark in his line at a European Tour event last October. If Dyson does not commit another rules breach during the next 18 months, he will not be suspended.

“Everyone’s just getting on with it,” Dyson said Wednesday, via the Guardian. “What’s in the past is in the past, and I can’t do anything about it. That’s the way I’ve looked at it since the day of the hearing, really. As soon as it was over, it was over. … Just get on with it and looking forward to starting afresh now.”


Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship: Articles, videos and photos


Along with the 2014 debuts of Henrik Stenson, Phil Mickelson and Rory McIlroy, Dyson is one of the main stories this week – not necessarily for how he would fare in Abu Dhabi, but how he would be received by his peers. On that front, Dyson says so far, so good. 

“Everyone has been coming up and talking to me,” he said, according to the report. “Nobody has mentioned it. It’s gone now and there isn’t anything anybody can say or do that will change what happened. I wish I could change it, but nobody can, so I just have to get on with it and carry on.”

Dyson maintains that there was never any intent to gain an advantage at the BMW Masters, but that in the future, “I’m just going to be very careful from now on, make sure I’m on the ball and be very professional about everything I do.” 

“I don’t think you can get a worse time, really,” he said, according to the report. “It wasn’t very nice. In the last two years I’ve not really enjoyed my golf, and then to have it all topped off by that was pretty low.”