CARMEL, Ind. – Robert Garrigus battled a belch to earn his spot in the Tour Championship.
It’s easiest to let him describe it.
“I started out like I was going to lead the golf tournament and then an idiot fan kind of burped in my backswing,” Garrigus said Sunday after shooting 69 to tie for fourth place at the BMW Championship. “I’ve never heard that in my entire life.
“It was intentional because he got me right in the back of it. Kind of frustrating because I flinched.”
Burp-gate happened on the eighth hole at Crooked Stick when Garrigus was 1 under. He ultimately made double bogey. But he rebounded with four consecutive birdies on Nos. 13-16. Even though he bogeyed 17 it was good enough to vault him from No. 31 to 20 in FedEx Cup points and earn him a trip to East Lake in two weeks.
“I’ve felt like I’ve deserved to be there the past few years and I just haven’t put the work in,” Garrigus said. “Now I’m in shape and I’m there.”
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play