CARMEL, Ind. – Robert Garrigus battled a belch to earn his spot in the Tour Championship.
It’s easiest to let him describe it.
“I started out like I was going to lead the golf tournament and then an idiot fan kind of burped in my backswing,” Garrigus said Sunday after shooting 69 to tie for fourth place at the BMW Championship. “I’ve never heard that in my entire life.
“It was intentional because he got me right in the back of it. Kind of frustrating because I flinched.”
Burp-gate happened on the eighth hole at Crooked Stick when Garrigus was 1 under. He ultimately made double bogey. But he rebounded with four consecutive birdies on Nos. 13-16. Even though he bogeyed 17 it was good enough to vault him from No. 31 to 20 in FedEx Cup points and earn him a trip to East Lake in two weeks.
“I’ve felt like I’ve deserved to be there the past few years and I just haven’t put the work in,” Garrigus said. “Now I’m in shape and I’m there.”
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots