McIlroy named European Tour Golfer of the Year
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 18, 2012 9:22 AM ET
The accolades continue to roll in for world No. 1 Rory McIlroy, who was unanimously named European Tour Golfer of the Year on Tuesday.
McIlroy, who already was honored as the PGA Tour Player of the Year, won the yearlong Race to Dubai and closed his season with a stirring victory at the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.
That was his fifth worldwide title of the season, as McIlroy became the youngest player in 32 years to capture the Harry Vardon Trophy. He also won the Golfer Writers’ Trophy.
“Everyone who knows me knows how special the 2012 season was,” McIlroy said in a statement. “Now, to have been named as the European Tour Golfer of the Year puts the icing on the cake.
“It is a very special honor, indeed, and you only need to look down the list of players who have preceded me as the winner of this award to see precisely why – quite simply, it is a who’s who of golf and I’m delighted to now be a part of that in the history books.”
On a marathon final day at the Barclays Singapore Open, Matteo Manassero holed a 15-foot eagle putt on the third playoff hole to win. Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots