Slocum in control of FedEx Cup fate at Wyndham
- By Ryan Lavner
- Aug 19, 2012 7:34 PM ET
The winner has yet to be determined at the weather-plagued Wyndham Championship, but at least one of the other subplots is beginning to crystalize at Sedgefield Country Club.
It appears Heath Slocum has the best chance to play his way into the season-ending FedEx Cup playoffs. After beginning the week No. 129 in the points race, Slocum is projected to finish 120th. The top 125 after the conclusion of play Monday qualify for next week’s playoff opener at Bethpage Black.
When play was suspended Sunday, Slocum was in a tie for ninth, at 11 under par. In the final round, he was 3 under through 13 holes.
If Slocum is able to maintain his position, then only No. 124 Jhonattan Vegas would be bounced out of the top 125. Vegas, who missed the cut in Greensboro after rounds of 71-70, is currently projected to finish 126th in points.
Tim Herron, who began the week 139th in points, has only two holes remaining in his final round at the Wyndham. Currently, he’s projected to finish 128th in the FedEx Cup race. Bobby Gates, with eight holes left in his final round, is projected to finish No. 131 in points.
Near the top of the standings, Jason Dufner needs a two-way tie for second or better to overtake Tiger Woods as the FedEx Cup points leader. Not that it will affect next week’s tournament, of course – Dufner already has said that he will not play The Barclays. Barring a final-round rally from Carl Pettersson, it appears Zach Johnson, at No. 4 in the points race, would fill out the Tiger Woods-Rory McIlroy threesome.
For now, Jason Bohn is the official bubble boy, projected to finish the regular season at No. 125 in points. Rod Pampling began Wyndham week in that precarious position, but shot rounds of 68-66-70-68 and is projected to move to No. 116 on the list.
Fresh off his U.S. Open win, Justin Rose will play the first two rounds at TPC River Highlands alongside a pair of fellow major champions. Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path