As he nears the end of his first full season on the PGA Tour since 2005, Tiger Woods says that fatigue is the reason he is not in the field at this week's WGC-HSBC Champions in Shenzhen, China.
"I was tired and doing these things are easy," Woods explained Thursday while holding a putting clinic for a select group of junior golfers in Singapore. "Competing and getting ready for another golf tournament, I just didn't want to do that."
Earlier in the week, tournament officials voiced their displeasure over Woods and world No. 1 Rory McIlroy's noted absences this week after both participated in a one-on-one exhibition match Monday in Zhengzhou, China.
For Woods, though, a busy season is now nearly complete. His next competitive appearance – and last of 2012 – will be at next month's World Challenge, an invitational where Woods will serve as both host and defending champion.
"I've got four more rounds at my tournament in L.A. and I'm done until Abu Dhabi next year, so I'm looking forward to having this extended break," Woods commented. "Competing and playing golf tournaments after a long schedule, the (FedEx Cup) playoffs, the Ryder Cup and a lot of other tournaments, it's been a while."
Woods has certainly remained busy in the month since Team Europe left Medinah with the Ryder Cup. During a period where many players began to wind things down for the year, he participated in the World Golf Final in Turkey and last week's CIMB Classic in Malaysia, in addition to Monday's Duel at Jinsha Lake with McIlroy.
After winning three times this year and rising to No. 2 in the world ranking, Woods already has his eyes set on 2013.
"Four more opportunities at major championships," he noted. "With my game improving, I'm very excited about that for next year."
Tiger Woods birdied five of his last 10 holes for another 5-under 67, giving him a share of the 36-hole lead with Nick Watney Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path