Quiros is 22nd in the Official World Golf Ranking and he is attempting to complete a Middle East Slam of sorts by winning in Abu Dhabi this week. He has won the other three Middle East events on the European Tour – The Commercialbank Qatar Masters, Omega Dubai Desert Classic, and Dubai World Championship- once each. He feels that he has had so much success in the desert because the conditions are very similar to where he grew up in Spain.
After closing his 2011 so emphatically with a win in the Dubai World Championship, he is very excited to get his 2012 season started with some very special events in Abu Dhabi, Qatar, and Dubai where he has played well and had a lot of success.
He is currently 4th in the European Ryder Cup Points Standings and he really wants to make Jose Maria Olazabal’s team especially because he was so close in 2010. He is in a better position now than he was in 2010 but he still has a long way to go so he has to continue to play well and not let up.
When it comes to playing more in the United States, he said that playing in America is a different league for international players for many reasons. But comfort level is also very important to him and he is more comfortable in Europe right now. If he plays well in the Majors and the WGC events in the U.S., he could see himself playing more in the United States.
He celebrated his birthday last weekend (he shares the same birthday as Jack Nicklaus) and he said that he hopes to experience what Jack has experienced by winning Majors. It was the first time in about 6 or 7 years that he has been able to celebrate his birthday at home and while he has always been treated well when he has celebrated on the road, it felt great to be at home and celebrate with friends this year.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process