VIRGINIA WATER, England - Ernie Els has apologized for his expletive-laced outburst about the condition of the greens at Wentworth at the BMW PGA Championship.
The South African said after his third round Saturday that officials had failed to water the putting surfaces heavily enough, making it nearly impossible to hold approach shots on some greens.
European Tour chief executive George O'Grady said Sunday that Els asked to see him Sunday morning and ''apologized for his intemperate language.''
O'Grady said Els has apologized to ''all the individuals concerned'' and has accepted Els' offer of a ''substantial donation to the European Tour Benevolent Trust.''
Els had been facing a fine for his comments.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Senior PGA Championship
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots