Schwartzel off to slow start in soggy South Africa
- By Associated Press
- Jan 12, 2012 1:23 PM ET
Nearly half the field, including two-time defending champion Charl Schwartzel, failed to complete their rounds on the West Course following a four-hour afternoon delay because of thunderstorms at Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Club.
Schwartzel was even par through 15 holes, tied for 104th place.
South Africa’s Desvonde Botes was part of a three-way tie for third after a 7-under 65 on the par-72 East Course. He was tied with Reinier Saxton of the Netherlands and South Africa’s Peter Karmis, who both shot 64 on the West Course to be level at 7 under.
Retief Goosen was T-12 after a 66.
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: Sr. PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots